Chapter 10: MP5 SMGs have safety? (Part 2)

Dr. K parked his car next to his apartment's building - it had appeared to remain untouched by any unwanted people, or cars for that matter.

Quickly, basked by the light of the moon, the three of you rushed into the first floor's flat - at least that one didn't require any usage of elevators or stairs. Opening the door with his house's keys in the same keychain as his car's, Dr. K looked around. It looked the same as it did 5 weeks ago, the last time he went there.

He rushed into his kitchen's pantry, and took any canned goods he could find. He put them on the counter, and looked for a bag. Puro and you took a look around.

It was a rather small apartment - the kitchen was actually connected to the living room, and the only other divisions were a small bathroom and a small bedroom, hosting a single bed and a CRT TV from Panasonic. Did it even work?

Taking a second glance at the kitchen, the white wolf was searching around for a plastic bag, unaware there was one on the pantry itself.

You - Hey, uh, there's a bag in the kitchen-

Dr. K - Oh. I hadn't noticed. Thanks...

You - Pi. Call me Pi.

Dr. K - Sorry. Right. I had forgotten.

The lab-coated wolf rushed back to the pantry and took the bag, shoving what was over the counter into it. Sliding the bag to the entrance, he rushed into the bedroom, ordering you to stay alert for any potential threats, and took a white, rigid paper box under his bed. Therein lied a HK416 5.56 x 45 mm NATO calibre assault rifle with a bayonet holder at its tip, and what could only be described as a shit ton of ammunition. He took it out, put on a belt included in the box and equipped all of the magazines. He grabbed the HK, and rushed back, handing the bag to Puro and closing his apartment door.

He took out his "new" iPhone, and checked the time.

It was 4 AM. Not an ideal time to navigate through the weird streets of [REDACTED], but it would have to do, since no one was particularly fond of... dying.

Dr. K - Let's roll.

Puro (jokingly, with a naughty wink) -  Aye, captain. What shall we set the route to?

Dr. K - For now... bumfuck nowhere. Or more precisely, somewhere that's not here. The weirder our destination is, the better. Harder to track us. Which reminds me to tell you all to shut down your phones.

You - We would, if we had phones, you kn-

The black wolf suddently drew something with a quite laughable resemblance - a smartphone from 2012; to be more precise, Samsung's top of the line smartphone at the time, the Galaxy Note 2. It had a tiny dent at the bottom left corner, but except that, it was pristine. He promptly turned it on, revealing an unusual interface for the phone. Instead of the TouchWiz UI that Samsung implemented in their phones at the time over Android 4.1.1 for the model Puro had, which many users complained of, it had a custom Android ROM -CyanogenMod 10. It had no big advantages, but it ran faster than it would with Samsung's official alternative. And 2 GB of RAM are not very helpful for phones almost a decade old. Fortunately the phone had some tweaks to lighen up its battery life usage.

Puro shut down the device. He looked at you.

Puro - What? You never seen a phone before?

You - Eh, yeah, but, like, you had a phone with you at all times??? You could have used that to call for help when the building was invaded?

Dr. K (Interrupting) -  Hey, we don't have much time. Keep moving.

You and Puro followed the white wolf, and as he rushed back into his car, you kept bothering Puro.

Puro - Yes, I could have, but the phone's screen would emit light. What if they could see that light from the outside?

You shut up, out of arguments. Still, as to not let yourself look defeated, you mock him:

You - What else you got, a knife?

Puro drew a familiar knife - a Butterfly knife. He played with it for a few seconds, and put it back, as well as the phone.

Puro - One tends to distract himself with hobbies when locked up in a container like I was. I don't know about you, but after being brought there, I have learned to code in Android Studio, use guns, melee weapons, human psychology, learned Japanese and Russian.

It hit you. The phone. It was from 2012.

Did that mean he had been there for that much time?

Or longer?

You were not certain.

You entered the car, along with Puro and Dr. K. He started the car, and realized he forgot the gas - but he ignored it. Money was not going to be a problem, so y'all would be fine.

Dr. K started driving. Meanwhile, Puro decided to explain himself.

Puro - I'm sorry for not explaining myself. The truth is, I just... I have a hard time trusting people. I know we're close, but being close hasn't proven to be enough for the previous life I had before becoming... this.

Trusting peope enough to tell them things like his interests? That sounded weird, yet you let him finish what he wanted to say.

Puro - All I can say is, I've been decieved once, Pi. I find it hard to not predict someone to decieve me again.

Dr. K was quiet. He dared not to say anything. He drove past a few police cars, and hoped for their own sake it wasn't their fault the police cars were driving towards where they left. He took the left, and you fell silent. You wanted to apologize, but words did not come out of your mouth no matter what. Puro knew what you meant; he always did. He smooched you.

Puro - If it gives you any comfort, I trust you. When we get somewhere safe, I promise I'll open up like a flip phone. He smiles. OK?

You - OK.