Chapter 13: Oh no! 13 is unlucky. Is everyone gonna die in this chapter?

Going on a 4-people trip can be either amazing or absolutely the most shitty experience in the planet - it really depends who you travel with. Monika turned out to be a great travel companion. Even though she was a bit skeptical about not only traveling but interacting with transfurred people at all, she quickly put her question aside and fit right in. You thanked Puro inside your mind - if you hadn't read all those books with him about all those philosophies and biologies and whatnot, you wouldn't be able to understand a single word of what they said. Now, you were only a bit confused about what they were saying. Which is better than completely confused...
Still, it was fun: Monika was open to other opinions, something hard to find these days.
Politics, religion (oh boy, that's a sensitive topic to discuss), biology, too many to count, or to remember, or to actually care about doing either of those things.
Still though, imagine being a animal rights' activist who is also a philosopher who defends veganism but isn't a vegan himself. That's gotta be ironic.
After a joke or two about Peter Singer's "flexible veganism" (i'M nOt vEGaN wHEn i tRAvEl)*, you notice Monika's wearing a JBL-branded earbud.
You - Hey, what are you listening to?
You broke her train of thought. She opens her mouth, but no sound comes out of it. She closes it and, looking behind her seat, she asks:
Monika - What?
You - The earbuds. What song are you listening to?
She blinks, still trying to fix her though process. The dark haired girl took her left earbud off and handed it over to you. You put it on, while Puro chuckles at Monika's apparent confusion.
Puro - It does be like that sometimes, eheh.
The chorus of Slipknot - Psychosocial plays. Cute song. Missing some aggressiveness, though.
You hand back the earbud shortly after the last bit of the song plays.
You - That's a rather cute song.
Monika - Look at the bottom boy pretending to be edgy. Almost bought it. Almost.
You blush, and say nothing.
Monika - Anyways, want me to send it to you?
You keep quiet, and Puro does the honors.
Puro - He doesn't have a phone, as of now. We're sharing... or rather, I'm sharing mine.
You - I didn't knew you had one until not too long ago.
Puro - Are you really gonna make a fuss about that? There's better things in the world than to play Minecraft or listen to music. Like what we did. Read books, and stuff.
You blush harder at the thought of... stuff.
Monika - Heh. Stuff. Must have been very intimate, since your power bottom's face is about to turn into a tomato.
Puro laughs and says nothing.
Monika suddenly remembers something.
Monika - Hey, since you don't have a phone...
She takes her backpack from beneath her shoes and puts it in her lap. She opens a side pocket and draws an iPhone 7 Plus. She hands it over to you as well as a generic charger in mint condition.
Monika - ...You can have my old one. I have literally no use for it, and since Doctor White Flex Tape doesn't like iPhones, you're the lucky winner of the giveaway no one entered.
Puro wanted to say something, but he kept quiet.
She took a pair of wired earphones, one of them a little worn, presumably faulty, and gave them to you.
Monika - Same goes for these. No use for them. Might as well put them to use, eh?
You look down at the metalhead's offerings: a (not so) new phone and a pair of (half broken) earbuds. Is it Christmas yet?
You - Damn. Thanks, Monika... This is... really cool. A... A-re you su-re?
Monika (smiling) - Yes. Yes, I am.
You try to put your half-ass broken Swedish to use.
You - Tack så mycket, syster. (Thank you so much, sister.)
She lets out a hearty laugh.
Monika - Hey, IKEA boy, I'm not Swedish. Nice accent, though.
Puro - I taught him basic Swedish while at the facility. He's a quick learner. He knows how to speak many more languages. Icelandic still isn't one of them. You can't really blame him, though. He glances at you. It's not exactly widely spoken.
Monika - It is widely spoken... in Iceland.
Everyone chuckles.
You take a closer look at the phone itself. Turning it on, you notice there's no PIN or Touch ID set up. In fact, the phone had been reset to factory settings over the last week, and upgraded to iOS 14. As you familiarize yourself with the OS (somehow, you intuitively knew how to mess with the menus and applications and stuff), the green-eyed 20-year-old lady said:
Monika - Get some games and music installed while you're at it. Not like there's much more for you to do on this trip.
Following her advice, you downloaded a shit ton of random songs and soundtracks, games and whatever. Because it was sure as hell gonna be a boring stay at a tiny cement cube.
Meanwhile, Dr. K announced their arrival.
Dr. K - We're almost here!
Uhh... where exactly are we?
You were, quite literally, in the middle of bumfuck nowhere.
All that was around you was a highway straighter than a ruler, and fields of yellowed, dried grass, plants or whatever.
He slowed down. Mumbling something about something close to a speed limit sign, he looked around to spot one. And a sign there was, a sign he drove past right as he noticed it. He grunted, hit the pedals (which made everyone almost hit their heads if they had no seatbelts) and did a risky 180°, drifting and creating a cloud of smoke as he turned around and drove right until he was beside the speed limit.
This guy drives much better than the average person. Where'd he learn to do that?
Puro looked at you and guessed your thoughts. You appeared to be the only one unaware of the white wolf's driving skills, since the Icelandic, green eyes said nothing.
Puro (whispering) - Only the atoms know how he learned to drive like this. That, and use guns. And basically anything else. He's really smart, smarter than average.
You (whispering too into Puro's ear) - He's a scientist. The average person isn't even half as smart as him.
I'd say he's smarter than the average scientist, but I've never seen another scientist driving or do anything else.
I mean, I barely remember knowing other scientists.
Puro chuckles.
Dr. K, unaware of any parallel conversations, selected a tiny, robust-looking wireless remote from his car's keychain. He pointed it at... the sign?
A sound... no, a shit-eatingly metal-ish loud noise came out of the ground, making your ears want to stop hearing forever.
A few metres away from the speed limit indicator, a hole opened in the middle of the ground.
It was big enough, after fully open, to have a car inside it.
Dr. K waited a few more seconds to drive inside the bunker.
Puro - Is this a bunker? It looks more like a parking lot transformed into a bunker.
Monika - Nah. This looks like a damn mancave.
Indeed it did. Dr. K parked his car. You look at your new phone. All transfers had been successfully completed - just in time. There was absolutely NO service inside. As Dr. K caused the horrendous noise to begin again, effectively closing the door, you look out of the window.

__________________
Footnotes
*Yes, this is true. He's more "flexible" when he travels, or at least that's what (s)he said. I consider this stupid. You're either vegan, or not. The end. This guy isn't. He could admit not being vegan, but whatever. This sounds extremely petty, I swear. But I guess if he's happy and doesn't feel guilty about it, it's ok. It's not like I'm gonna die because he's doing that.

Why am I putting this on a horny fanfiction again?
(•_•)
( •_•)>⌐■-■
(⌐■_■)
idk but deal with it
rant over