Chapter 23: Promise to bring you back.

Narrator's POV 

Elizabeth has just done the third stack of paper in her laboratory's office. She stretched her back a little stiff after hours of sitting and signing documents. Olivia was reading the book that Althea gave her while stealing glances at the princess wondering and a little conscious that she was reading this kind of book near her. 

"Olivia. What time is it?" (Elizabeth) looked around the laboratory of the West wing noticing it was a little empty. 

Olivia stands up and answers, "It is already three in the morning, your highness." 

Elizabeth's eyes soften perhaps tired but she tried keeping herself awake. She blinks and stifles out an adorable yawn. Olivia thought how can such a cold and distant person like her have these vulnerable moments like this. 

"I have to go to my other laboratory. You know what to do." (Elizabeth) stood up and removed the lab coat giving it to Olivia who nods and looks at the princess a little concerned about her sleep schedule. 

"Yes, your highness." (Olivia) answered and went on her way. 

Elizabeth looked at Olivia's figure disappearing as she also left and went in a different direction. To her mother's room now her own private study. Why do you ask?

It's where the Queen left her private research laboratory and where the supposed to be [Proteus Lanterns] were kept. The lanterns had the power to repel the strong snow but she wonders if it can be used against humans or demons. 

It was obvious Elizabeth didn't know a thing about engineering or just how to build something from scratch. When she died she was just a high schooler after, taking care of her grandfather every day and meeting the expectations of others that she didn't have time to know what she wanted to be like when she grew up. 

She opened the door and was met by the familiar study she worked on but... there was something more to it at first glance. 

Elizabeth takes out a key from her pocket and walks forward into the fireplace that had an ongoing fire. "[Ice Magic: Hail]." 

She put out the fire with her magic with small hail and in the corner of it was a little keyhole. 

"Mreow?" 

Elizabeth looked at where the sound came from and saw Nala that was looking at her expectantly. So this is where she was hiding- behind the couch sleeping all this time. What a lazy white tiger! "Nala, do you want to come with me down there?" (Elizabeth) asked and Nala shook her head. 

Nala felt like it was too much trouble and she knew that her master would be safe underground. Elizbeth shrugs and just focused back on what she was doing. 

She looked at the key before placing it in the keyhole. There weren't any needed enchantments or casting so she just turned it clockwise and heard a little click.

The fireplace moved upwards revealing an elevator. 

Elizabeth went inside the elevator that she made and removed the stairs before because she thought it was boring. "I'll be back Nala. Take care of the study for me, don't let anyone in." 

"Mreow..." (Nala) yawns and went back to her napping. Besides she really wasn't going to let anyone in here. Elizabeth rolled her eyes and pushed a button, the elevator moved down and the fireplace moved back to its place as if nothing had changed. 

Surprisingly there was also elevator piano music in there so Elizabeth didn't feel awkward just standing there listening to nothing. 

Ding!

[You have arrived at the testing floor.]

The elevator opens its doors and revealed a room full of unthinkable trinkets. Many testing tubes, there were demons inside of it, even magical animals inside cages, and a human body but it was covered up so even me the narrator couldn't even see who was inside.

Elizabeth moved to a small corner where there were Hazmat suits similar to the ones on earth but she made sure that it was magic proofed. It was really hard making those and she only had one of these. She made sure that it was only to be kept here, and that if anyone found out and stole it, it's going to be a blood bath in there. 

Thankfully she believes there's only one key in this lab.

She wore the hazmat suit and stretched the gloves in her hands making that rubber sound. 

"Time to work then," she muttered to herself and walked to one of the testing tubes and beside it was a clipboard containing the reports from the past week's observation. The testing tube had a magical animal inside, it was a boar that was letting off electricity. 

The last report said that the battery connected to it was getting full from only an hour of connecting to it. Elizabeth hummed as she tried inflicting pain into the magical creature as the [Magic Core] glowed inside of their body. The boar groaned inside the tube and started hitting the glass. Elizabeth looked at the electricity levels it was emitting and she saw that it doubled the charge. 

"I see." she scribbles down her observation in the clipboard and moved to the next test subject. 

There was a goblin tied down to a table and beside it were tools for dissecting. 

"Lijak yurtumin! Kakak!" (Goblin) tried freeing itself from its metal restraints but it was really useless because she made sure it was clucked tight. 

Elizabeth sighed as she grabbed a hypodermic syringe with a very thin needle and took an anesthetic looking at the goblin's gaze full of rage but Elizabeth knew deep inside it was trembling with fear of how the goblin's hand shook on the metal restraints, "I'm sorry but I need to study you for science. I need to know how do your cores inside have souls." 

She grabbed the alcohol and rubbed it in the goblin's arms who tried to bite her off but Elizabeth punched him first. "Fuick! Ay!" the goblin whimpered as it looked like it was about to cry when she punched them.

"Settle down or else the needle is going to be stuck." (Elizabeth) yelled while concentrating on the needle her hands a little shaky. Right, in her past life she saw her grandfather get poked with a lot of needles, she was always afraid of syringes but now she has to dissect a goblin for research! 

She managed to give the goblin a shot of anesthesia and sighed in relief. "Alright, that should do it."

The gobline eye's blinked as it yawned. Sleepy, Elizabeth couldn't hold back herself to yawn either. It was a tiring day, after all, she helped Olivia with her problems and sighed over a hundred documents. Her hands were tired... 

She shook her head trying to keep the tiredness away and kept on working. 

Elizabeth took the scalpel and began doing surgery. She had to do surgery on three more others before walking at the last tube to observe. She looked at the human body, her eyes soften at the unchanged look even after all these years. "I promise to get my revenge and bring you back." 

[Chapters will be short because might not update nowadays. Genshin Impact is taking up most of my now and trying to write 1k-3k words is not easy with another book. Check it out maybe? Thanks for reading!] -Author