CHAPTER 11

Dream sat in his office chair sorting out papers before bed, having to sign a few before he could finally sleep. He had prominent eye bags under his eyes, his green eyes begging to finally shut. “How much longer until I can sleep?” Dream grumbled. 

Just a bit more, Dream. Then we can sleep.” Dream glared over towards the red hooded man next to him, who too had eye bags. He looked back, piercing red eyes daring him to talk back to the other. The blond growled, grabbing his pen as he looked through the first one. Though before he could really start a soft knock desturbed the quiet atmosphere the two sat in. Nightmare looked over towards it and disappeared as the door was slowly opened. On the other side of the door was a five year old Tommy who looked at the other with hopeful eyes. Dream raised a brow but beckoned the other in. Tommy did, now revealing he held a book between his hands. 

“Dream…” Dream nodded indicating he was listening. “Can you read this to me? Please?” Tommy grew closer now standing next to the green hooded male, holding the book out for the other. Dream was hesitant but took it, looking at the title. 

“The Lost City of Mizu?” Dream asked. It was a more teen rated book, not usually for such young children. “Are you sure?” Tommy brightened up by the other question. 

“Yes!” 

Are you really considering reading that to him?” Nightmare hissed. Usually the male was quiet, but sometimes he spoke his mind. Though Dream jumped when Nightmare spoke this time, not expecting the other to do so. Dream didn’t answer the other. He looked down at the little boy in front of him, once again seeing his blue eyes staring back at him. 

“Okay.” Dream smiled, picking the child up and sitting him on his lap. Tommy snuggled into the others chest as the king opened the book up to the first page, ready to start reading.

+ + +

Dream slowly shut the book looking down at the sleeping Tommy. He sat the book aside, letting his scarred fingers run through the youngers blond hair, who in return smiled in his sleep. Dream smiled to himself, green eyes softening as he gazed down at the five year old. “Remember why we took him. He’s our weapon.” Nightmare growled, finally showing himself. He sat beside the other with his arms crossed, though Dream didn’t notice that his own red eyes were softening at the sight of the other. 

“I think we both know he’s more than just a weapon to the both of us, Night.” Dream slowly stood, making sure the other was securely wrapped in his arms. Night sighed in defeat, following the green hooded male to the door. “In fact, I remember you freaking out when he climbed into that tree the other day. Remember that?” Dream chuckled, teasing the other who flushed in embarrassment. “‘Oh my gods! He’s gonna fall and crack his head open! Dream to do something! Ahhhhh!’” Dream started laughing quietly, looking over to the red hooded male who glared at the other in anger. 

You make me angry.” Nightmare huffed out, uncrossing his arms. 

“But I’m right.” Nightmare looked down at the child that still slept undisturbed and slightly smiled. 

Yeah, I guess you are.” 

Present. . . 

“Will you stop?” Dream growled out, slamming his hands down onto his desk. Nightmare sat behind the other, himself angry. 

Why are you not doing more to get Tommy back? It was a simple question!” Nightmare yelled. Dream glared at the other, said male backing down slightly.