CHAPTER 20

In the morning, Sapnap didn’t expect Karl’s side of the bed to be empty. Karl was not a morning person, usually Quackity or himself having to drag the shorter male out of bed. He was panicking, the worst scenarios filling his head. They were supposed to leave today, they had packed what they needed last night so they could eat breakfast and just start their journey. But the time traveler wasn’t here. Swiftly the other got out of bed, making his way down the halls to the living room, library, and dining room. After checking those rooms and not finding Karl he started frantically looking for people that could help him, one of the first people he finds is an old friend he still hadn’t been able to have a reunion with because of all the chaos. Hannah. Her long curly brown hair was recognisable anywhere, the roses littering said hair only proving him right further. “Hannah!” Said female looked behind her shoulder, green eyes sparkling at the sight of her friend. 

“Sapnap!” The two embraced, then the questions started before Sap could ask her for her help. “How was your time in the Dreamer kingdom? I heard you have some fiance’s, from what Ant told me.” 

“It was fine, really easy to hide the fact I was the mole if you ask me- and about the fiance thing. I can’t find Karl.” Hannah gushed at the name, but then realized what her friends had said. 

“Wait- can’t find him?” The blaze hybrid nodded, the human now looking concerned. “Well, I don’t want to alarm you but the plants have been talking to me since I got up. They said something happened in the egg’s room. I think Ponk and Punz went to investigate.” Fear quickly swarmed the prince. Hannah grabbed his hand and started racing towards the eggs location. He never liked the egg much, but it was the symbol of his nation so he knew he needed to get over it. The egg was a weird being though, he knew that when he went to visit it before his leave for Dreamer kingdom. When he went down the egg had enhanced his abilities, and even gave him new ones. He wasn’t the only one given abilities thought, his fathers where as well, along with the generals  Ponk, Ant, Punz, and Hannah. If Karl was down there he was afraid the egg did two things, killed his fiance, or gave the other abilities like he did the others. Running down the stairwell to the eggs room was nerve wracking, especially since he knew this was where Karl was since he heard yelling from below. 

“Karl!” 

“He’s out cold, Sapnap!” Ponk yelled up to them, showing up out of the hall. At least he wasn’t dead. As soon as he made his way down the hall he met the sight of a passed out Karl, a worried Ponk kneeling down at the shorter’s side, and a Punz awkwardly standing to the side. Sapnap was quick to join his fiance’s side, quickly checking his pulse, but as he was he noticed something peculiar on the palms of his hands. Purple and green swirls were on the palms of his hands, making Sapnaps fears confirm themselves. 

“I think the egg gave him an ability.” Pink murmured. “You may want to hold off on your trip to the Pride kingdom until he wakes up, and even then it's questionable because of his new abilities.” Sapnap knew the other was right. 

“I might have to go alone.” Sapnap muttered. He looked up to the other three in the room with desperate eyes. “Are you all going with my parents?” Slowly they nodded. “Can one of you stay behind, I’m sure if I explained the situation my fathers will let you.” Punz groaned, walking forward and curtly nodding. Sapnap gratefully thanked the other, already attempting to pick the other up. “Okay, let's go talk to my parents.”  

 + + +

Eret angrily stomped down the hallways, Puffy behind him herself looking irritated. “He thinks he can just demand things from me? Threaten me? Does he really think I’m fucking brain dead or some shit? Did he not think I'd notice?” the goat hybrid huffed, crossing her arms as the two made it to the king's study. 

“I don’t know, but the economy is suffering now for what that no good-” eret groaned, not letting the other finish as he fell into his seat. The white haired female took her seat on the chair in front of his study, herself ready to write a very angry letter to their alliance kingdom. 

“What are we going to do? Do you know how long it took us to fix this last time?” The king sounded defeated, himself slouching in his chair as he thought. Puffy was hesitant to say her idea out loud, especially since last time she had Eret had shot it down within seconds. 

“We could finally go to the other alliance.” Puffy quietly  spoke, herself twiddling with her fingers. “Maybe they’ll even be able to help us?” Eret looked like he was actually considering it, which made the goat hybrid relax better. 

“Maybe, but what will we do if the Dreamer kingdom comes after us?” Puffy scoffed. 

“Eret, we’re the third biggest kingdom, we are now useless. We have guards, we both know those walls we’ve been building around our kingdom won’t be useless. And on top of that we’ll have three other kingdoms on our side to protect us like we will them.” Eret hummed, taking his sunglasses off and pulling some paper out of his drawer, along with a quill and ink. Puffy watched with curious eyes. “Might not be wise to send letters, if you're considering changing sides like I suggested.” 

“And why is that?” eret asked, pausing his movements as he looked at his lead general. 

“We both know it’s no secret the Dreamer kingdom has been intercepting peoples messages. If they find these ones, we’ll surely not last a moment.” Puffy explained to the king, who listened patiently. “We may be strong, but the Dreamer kingdom knows that. They’ll pour everything they can into destroying us if they find out we’re switching sides.” The brownette knew his lead general was right, so reluctantly he put the supplies back. 

“Then how do we contact them?” Eret asked. “I refuse to leave my kingdom the way it is, and in case that basketcase of a king decides to attack I don’t want you leaving either.” They seemed to be stuck. Puffy didn’t know what to do. They were in an alliance that was doing more harm than good, and they both knew it was only a matter of time before the Dreamer kingdom decided to turn on them and try to take them out. 

“I don’t know.” Puffy sighed. “I guess we wait for destiny to decide our fate at this point. We can’t really do anything anymore. If we send those letters we may be found out, if you leave the kingdom may crumble into pieces even with me here still, if I leave and that king decides to terminate our alliance in a non friendly way we most likely will lose since I’m lead general.” eret hated the idea of sitting here and trying not to die until they figured something out, but he knew that was the only option they had. 

“Then I guess we try and fix our economic problems while we think of something.”