27

When Jughead Jones strode into Pops Chock Lit Shoppe the last person he expected to see was Lilith sitting in a back booth

       When Jughead Jones strode into Pops Chock Lit Shoppe the last person he expected to see was Lilith sitting in a back booth. She had papers spread over the whole table but wasn't looking at a single one, instead she was staring out the front window.

"I've been trying to call you." Jughead said quietly once he'd reached the side of her booth.

When her eyes met his a cold chill went through him, she looked hollow.

"He broke it." She said back before shifting a few of the papers.

Jughead quickly noticed them to be homework assignments, all blank of any student answers. Most held a 0/20 on the top of them in red ink, others held past due or make up work.

"Since when do you not do your homework?" Jughead tried to joke but it didn't seem any more convincing than the smile she tried to summon.

"Since I can't sleep." Lilith's eyes glanced over the papers for what felt like the hundredth time. Since I've been so depressed that breathing is a full time job.

Although it was true, Lilith couldn't sleep, the real reason was that it was hard enough to wake up. She couldn't manage to wake up to go to school and be productive. Lilith was too depressed- surviving was more than enough homework for her to work on.

Jughead could tell she wasn't lying, "I don't think Sweet Pea has been either."

Lilith's heart surged with guilt, she didn't want to hear about Sweet Pea struggling. It only reminded her that she deserved her own suffering. That she didn't deserve to be happy, she never had deserved anything she'd gotten from him.

"You should call him." Jughead said quietly.

"Don't tell me that." Lilith shook her head, "We both know he wouldn't answer."

"Maybe not the first... couple of times." Jughead chuckled knowing how stubborn Sweet Pea was.

Jughead slid into the booth across from her, "Why didn't you tell us?"

"I wanted to." She said after a moment.

"I needed to trust you guys but by the time I trusted everyone- I had love for everyone." She sighed, "And I didn't want to lose it."

"I was scared that if I truly embraced it something terrible would happen."

Lilith seemed to let out a sarcastic laugh, "And the second it came out everything terrible I had been scared of happened."

Lilith's blue eyes met Jughead's, "I'm gonna be scared forever."

"And I didn't even get the one thing that would have made the pain worth it." Her tear filled eyes rolled at her own words.

"Sweet Pea?" Jughead questioned quietly.

"A family, Jones." Her eyes avoided his as she looked back down to the papers.