Given a last chance 😁

Just like a timid goat would walk inside a lion’s den ready to be relished upon, nervous Atul walked inside the house, taking small steps while Nirmala continued shooting angry glares at him.

“Sit", Manohar ordered with an emotionless exterior while there was a whirlpool of emotions inside him. Manohar was worried of his daughter and he could still not trust Atul completely however, he was ready to hear Atul because he was disheartened to witness the trauma of his daughter.

“Does your father know that you are here?” asked Manohar eyeing angrily at Atul.

Atul took a deep breath and decided to answer wisely. He was not in touch with his father since the last month. Despite his mother had told him that his father was changing bit by bit caring for his ill mother, he could still not believe that his father, Mr. Manoj Bansal was regretting his deeds. Having come all the way to Amaya’s house to seek an apology, Atul did not want to take any risk and get thrown out once again.

Contemplating what to speak, Atul decided to stick with the truth. He admitted, “Uncle, I asked my parents to leave for their home in Saharanpur once my father ruined things here. He was planning to fix my alliance with a builder’s daughter back home who was gifting the hefty dowry. That day....”

“I just want to know if he knows about your arrival here or not", spat Manohar menacingly interrupting him.

“Uncle, hear me out once", Atul pleaded. He was sure that he needed to preface his negative reply with the incidents and decisions of the past. Manohar nodded disinterested in the conversation while Atul took the cue to continue his narration.

Reminiscing the bitter memories of that ominous day, Atul explained, “When we reached here that day, my parents asked me to bring gifts for Amaya as those were needed in case the alliance was fixed. I was naive enough to not understand their intentions and I sped towards my apartment. Upon my return, I realized my father had spoiled everything.”

“Then", Manohar mumbled getting irritated at the man sitting in front of him. Atul could see anger in his eyes but he continued, “Going back, I had an argument with my parents and I asked them to leave. I was angry and disappointed. I called Amaya only to receive the text I had shown you. I was ashamed to face you but I wanted to seek an apology. I love Amaya and staying away from her is difficult for me.”

“I don’t trust you at all”, Manohar bellowed glaring at him.

“Uncle, I am really sorry but trust me, whatever I am speaking is the truth", Atul begged with immense emotional turmoil.

“So, your father doesn’t know that you are here", Manohar concluded.

“He does not deserve to know anything about me, Uncle", spoke Atul haughtily while Manohar gazed at him menacingly. Watching his tone, Atul mumbled, “I am done with the dirty deeds of my father. I had firmly opposed my father and forbade him to demand dowry on the day I met the first girl for an arranged marriage. I am really sorry you had to go through his torture but I assure you that no such thing would happen again.”

Manohar appreciated Atul’s courage. Being a sensible man, he could see the truth lingering in Atul’s eyes but from his past experiences, he knew arranged marriages worked with mutual agreement of both bride’s and groom's family. For Manohar, marriage meant a beautiful bond between two families revolving around the bride and groom who start their family blissfully.

Nirmala, on the other hand, had been silent spectator of the scene unfolding in front of her. Her heart wanted to trust Atul but her rational mind was still not convinced that Atul’s intentions were pure. She had been a doting mother to Amaya and thus, she could not imagine atrocities being inflicted upon her daughter like the once she had come across in the newspaper reports featuring dowry crimes. She was still not sure so she decided to let things go with the flow while she decided to talk with Manohar once Atul would leave.

“Son, what you want?” asked Manohar with a calmness in his voice. He wanted to test the waters before diving in.

With a hopeful glint in his eyes and a satisfying smile on his lips, Atul stated firmly, “Uncle, I seek an apology on the behalf of my father and I look forward to marry Amaya", dropping a bomb on Amaya’s parents.

Giving a disapproving look, Manohar announced, “Things don’t work in this way. Marriage is no child’s play. Your father insulted me in my house and flaunted his greed. I cannot accept this proposal.”

“Uncle, I am extremely sorry for my father’s reaction. I want you to give everything a chance, just for Amaya. Did you notice her lifeless eyes and pale skin? She is upset. Please help her find a closure, at least.” Atul pleaded trying to convince Manohar. He was using Amaya’s sorrow as a bait but he could care less. His pious intentions were a driving force for him despite, he was manipulating the emotions of a father just to get permission to talk with Amaya.

Manohar could not help but deny the fact that his daughter had forgotten to smile since the last month. He remembered when his wife had suggested him to talk with Mr. Manoj Bansal and go ahead with the alliance even if it meant to give in to the illicit demand of dowry because it was getting really difficult for the old couple to see their daughter heartbroken.

The old man smiled warmly looking at Atul as he realized that the young man sitting before him cared for his daughter. Being a loving father, Manohar always wanted a soft-hearted, caring and supportive husband for his affectionate daughter. No doubts, Atul was a perfect choice after all, he was ready to go against his parents for Amaya.

“Arranged marriages are not just an event where a couple gets married but it is a journey that brings together two families”, stated Manohar and Atul nodded in affirmation.

“I want you to talk with Amaya and let me know what is her decision. If my daughter will decide to give you a chance, Mr. Atul Bansal, your father will have to apologize from me.” Manohar announced challenging Atul who was shocked. Atul realized it was nearly impossible for him to persuade his father to apologize but he was given a chance to bring his happiness back and he decided to leave no stone unturned for the sake of his love.

“And Mr. Atul Bansal, remember, I will not pay a single penny in the name of dowry", stated Manohar firmly while Atul returned an affirmative smile.

Joining both of his hands in gratitude, Atul stood up as he replied, “Thank you, Uncle. My father will apologize for his mistake. I don’t want anything. I just want to marry Amaya. I promise I will keep her happy.”

Manohar smiled genuinely but Nirmala was afraid because things seemed too good to be true. Glaring at Atul, she glowered, “Atul, I am not happy with these advances. You broke my daughter’s heart and your father wants our money. I don’t want you to hurt her again.”

“Aunty, I promise I will not let any such thing happen again. All I need is a chance.” Atul pleaded with utmost genuineness while she looked towards her husband whose warm gesture suggested her to give Atul, a chance.

Nirmala nodded reluctantly as she murmured, “You get just one chance, Atul, provided your father will apologize us.”

Atul nodded in agreement while Manohar asked his wife to persuade Amaya to talk with Atul. Once Nirmala was out of sight, Manohar glared at Atul menacingly and warned him, “Atul, I am trusting you with my daughter once again, stay in your limits. I dare you to touch her or coax her for romance before getting married, I will punch you and break all your teeth.”

Atul was surprised at the sudden threat. Hesitantly, he tried to protest, “Uncle...”

“Amaya had written in the message that you both umm..., you know, kissed”, said Manohar hesitantly. Romantic advances before marriage was not really acceptable for him because he knew women were blamed in the society out of no reason and he could never imagine his daughter being called names unnecessarily.

“I swear I will kill you if you try getting cosy with her and then leave her heartbroken.” Manohar hissed as he saw Nirmala coming back from his daughter’s room.

With crimson hue creeping on his face, Atul blushed at his folly of showing the message to Amaya’s father. He thanked his stars that Manohar was an understanding man otherwise someone orthodox like his father would have beaten him black and blue. He assured the old man, “Uncle, I will be in my limits and I won’t break her heart.”

With a fake, reluctant smile, Nirmala mumbled, “She is sitting in the balcony. You can meet her.”

Manohar warmly smiled at Atul who was elated. Finally, the love of his life was ready to hear him out.

♥️♥️♥️

Hi everyone

A bit of positivity in this chapter and I am happy! 😁

I appreciate Manohar for being so understanding after all, my damoiseau deserves some relief now!😅😅😅

So, next is Amaya and Atul meeting coming up and I am really excited to write it down!!! 🧡

🌸I will be updating soon, till then, please shower love on this story. Please vote, comment and share this story with your friends 🌸

Take care 💙

Love you all
💜