Chapter 9

(Flashback; 17 years ago)
(Piya's POV)

I opened my eyes. I was in an empty room. There was a soft bed under me, above a ceiling fan. Where am I? I got up and looked for someone. Anyone.

"Mommy, where are you?" I cried out for her. I missed her. I got up and ran towards the door. It wouldn't open.

I banged on the closed door, while yelling for someone to find me. A lady finally came inside.

"You're finally awake dear.....are you okay?"

"I want my mommy!" I yelled. Tears ran down my cheeks. "Where is she?"

"Dear, I'm sorry. I don't know where she is." She took me into her arms in a tight hug. "This is your new home."

"New home?" The lady wiped my tears.

"Yes, you will stay here now."

I was confused. Why did she want me to stay here?

"But I want to go to my mommy!"

"Dear, I don't know where your mommy is...maybe she will come back to get you. Till then, you will stay here. Okay?"

I nodded in agreement. I hope mommy comes soon....

"Let me take you back to bed. You can meet your new friends tomorrow."

She picked me up and took me back to the bed. I fell asleep on no time.

(Next Day....)

The lady came back in the morning. She had a dress in her hands.

"Come dear, let me help you get ready."

She gave me a warm bath and helped me get dressed. I liked her.

"What's your name?" She asked me.

"Piya."

"That's a very sweet name."

"What's your name?" I asked her.

"Me, I'm Sonali. You can call me Sona didi."

I smiled at her. She patted me head.

"Come, let me introduce you to the other kids."

She took my hand and led me to a bigger room. It had lots of toys and books. There were some other kids playing with them too. Sona didi clapped her hands, and everyone came over to us.

"Kids, meet your new friend, Piya."

They all smiled and waved. I felt shy. Sona didi took me around and introduced me to everyone one by one.

"Kids, where is Maya?"

"She's playing outside." They all said in unison.

"Come, Piya."

She took me outside. There was a large playground. On the swings was a girl with long, dark hair.

"Maya, come here."

She ran over quickly, with a big smile on her face.

"I get a new friend didi, YAY!" She started jumping for joy. "What's your name?"

"Piya" I felt shy again.

"Piya, this is Maya." I waved at her.

"Okay girls, breakfast is in five minutes. Lets go back inside." She took us both my the hand and led us to the dining hall. But I didn't want to eat. I wanted mommy......

The dining hall was large. There was a long table with lots of chairs. Maya took me to a seat. I sat next to her. There were bowls of sliced fruit and bread and butter laid out neatly on the table. I wasn't in the mood to eat though.
"Piya, why aren't you eating anything?" I stayed silent.

"Here, let me feed you." Maya took a slice of an apple and held it at my lips. I took it without protesting. She was so nice.

We became close in the coming few years almost like sisters. We would never leave each other behind. I waited by the small window near the entrance everyday, waiting for my mommy to come and take me with her, and Maya too. That day never came.

(Three years later.....one dark night)

"Let's go children. It's time for bed." Kaka said. He was the watchman of the orphanage. He loved all of us as his own children.

"Come on Piya, let's go." Maya and I skipped happily inside, hand in hand.

(??????'s POV)

"I finally found you, Piya dear." The mysterious man smiled evilly. "You shall not live any longer now."

He thrust his hand forward, in direction of the orphanage. A blazing flame engulfed his hand, as he waved it from a distance around the orphanage. As he did so, a small fire broke out on the wooden frame and spread quickly, smothering the entire building in flames. Screams were heard. Little children banged on the walls for help.

"They are all going to die." He thought, snickering.

(Piya's POV)

There was smoke and fire everywhere. I was scared.

"Somebody help!" I yelled into the smoke. Maya was also trapped with me. All I could hear was yelling and crying. Why is this happening?

"Piya! Maya! Are you two in there?" It was Kaka. We both yelled yes in unison. He kicked the door open and jumped over the flames to get to us.

"Are you okay? Did you get hurt?" He caressed our faces.

We managed to escape the burning orphanage. No one else was outside, except for us three. Maya and I were crying profusely. Kaka gently stroked our hair.

"It's okay. You're absolutely safe now. We need to get help fast." He took us both by the hand, leading us to the main road.

The entire orphanage had burned to the ground by the time we got back with the fire brigade. No one else survived.

Suddenly everything went black. I could see or feel anything.

"Piya dear, you can run, but you can't hide." The man laughed hysterically.

The dream, or should I say nightmare ended right then. That man....who is he? What does he want with me! I curled back into bed, now facing the window. I flinched at the sight. A large hand was stretched out on the glass, slowly tapping its fingers on it. Then the hand disappeared along with a thick shadow. It had an eerie blue glow around it.

"No, Piya. I must be hallucinating."

But I didn't feel safe. I immediately moved took my things into the living room. I couldn't sleep in that room knowing someone....or something is watching me like that.