TRAPEZE - 025

BONNIE
ALVAREZ

Among the disattachment that I felt and the pure flashback of the outburst in front of my dad and Charlie, I was utterly in need of a mental power charge of what was left of my sanity. I needed to think of a better plan to get out of the hotel and to the place of the key.

"I know where the keys are, dad." I admitted and Gary's eyes widened in response.

Charlie stood up with his hands behind his back and his usual victory smirk.

"Where is it?" he asked as he put his finger under my chin so my eyes could meet his.

"My dead brothers' graves." I answered quickly.

I remembered why he was so keen on burying my brothers at the San Diego Graveyard, I caught him slipping something beside their coffins during the recital.

My eyes were determined on the set of ropes that were over the dead woman that was Maddox's mother or what remained of her.

I smiled prettily at my artwork that included her head apart from her body and her legs opened 360 degrees apart like she always did to other men, her wrists clapped together beside her head. They truly should have called me the next Picasso.

Maddox was outside and Charlie was still with his play toys also known as Gary and Violetta. I had to think of something quick.

I could always set a trapeze in front of the door and escape through the route that hung proudly on the wall of the hotel. My hands held the two sides of the hotel route and pulled it gently, the nails successfully went out of their places and onto the floor.

There were whispers from outside the door but I didn't care enough, I assessed the escaping routes of the hotel, I needed to outsmart Charlie and Maddox.

I grabbed the ropes that Maddox placed for the next step to attack Gary's incoming men and ignored the bobbing of his mom's head, I placed the round table that was in the middle of the room near the door and went up.

Think fast, Bonnie, you don't have much time. I alerted myself placing the ropes around the mini metal handles on the sides of the door and tying them around making sure they weren't going to fall.

I was slightly proud of myself that I had executed a good little plan and I stepped down the table, the whispers became louder so I quickly grabbed the remaining last rope and opened the window with the route on my back pocket, I tied it to the side of the window onto the pipe near it and held on tight.

The slight breeze welcomed my bare legs and the stinging of my unwelcomed period hurt like a bitch but I had to pull through for my plan.

I was going to make them regret, all of them. Even Maddox.

My legs ached due to the scratches and on my knees but I managed to escape the hotel for now, I went through their secret under-the-ground door right when I landed on my feet and discharged the rope.

That secret underground tunnel was a mystery to everyone but I was quick to catch on the little line at the end of the route plan in my hands, dad taught me some strategics when I was eight years old.

I caught a car driving by but I managed to make the driver stop by a flick of my hands.

"Where do you want to go, ma'am?" his accent was southern and I was slightly relieved that I had found my temporary freedom. I still didn't have much time since Maddox and Charlie and even Gary would catch onto me. They sure had strong alliances but that southern man looked helpless to me.

"San Diego Art Center, please." I replied respectfully and he drove off.

I wasn't going to tell him about a graveyard because he was going to doubt my intentions so I chose a place near it. My mind was hay-wired on beating them to the destination so I could dig up the key and get my revenge.

That and speak to my brave brothers.

The driver continued to peak at me through his rear-view mirror but I didn't give him the attention to interrogate me, he seemed like he desperately wanted to and he did anyway.

"Young gal, who you runnin' away from?" he inquired while looking ahead. He had a big black beard and small brown eyes with a little stick at the end of his mouth, his tongue playing with it, it looked more like hay.

"Nobody, just visiting." I quipped. I liked to keep my answers short and clipped. I couldn't risk my plan to anyone, especially skeptical drivers.

"Don't seem like that to me." He commented but let it go once we neared the art center but my heart flinched with dread at the sight of two black cars parked in front.

I was in deep shit.

"Can you stop, please?" I asked gently and he shook his head.

"No can do, princess, it's in my orders." He said and chuckled later before taking off the old man mask to reveal a perfectly sculptured face.

"Not you." I whined at the face of Maddox grinning.

"You do know that I placed a spying camera on your little pink bra, right?" He joked and my eyes went down to the chip placed on the side to look back up.

"You agreed to cuddle me just to place it?" I shrieked and he laughed.

"Listen, it's team Bonnie and Maddox against team Charlie and Gary." He stated as he swerved around to change the tracks away from Charlie's men.

"What are you even saying?" my voice lowered in shock.

"All I'm saying is that we need to get Charlie down," his eyes gleamed at me, "and you, my lady, are going to help me through it with that smart brain of yours."

"But they already have the key." I slumped back, devastated that my plan flew out the window.

"Nope, it's in the back of the trunk."