SECRETS - 011

BONNIE
ALVAREZ

I felt like I was in another girl's body the moment I woke up and played with my dyed tendrils. The nausea was wearing off slowly and my throat felt parched; I was always used to that feeling the moment I woke up. I felt the violation of stealing another girl's identity tugging at my stone heart.

My eyes scanned my pale hand as it laid limp on my side and then it averted to the door that was opened by the nurse so they could make sure I wasn't surging into epilepsy.

I tried to reminisce what happened but I was interrupted by none other than Victoria Vincent walking fast to sit next to the hospital bed. She didn't look pleased as her eyes zeroed into my face like I was an interesting science project.

"You foolish girl," she seethed, "didn't I tell you to keep the eyes off of you?"

I brought it on to myself. I let a highschool stupid testosterone filled brawl happen because of me. I didn't even know why it happened and why did that guy save me.

"I didn't mean to," my voice was scratchy since my throat was dry and my chest breathed heavily like it was forcing my body to breathe, "I don't know, I really don't-"

"It's okay, breathe slowly," she interrupted and filled a cup with water before handing it to me, "here, drink up."

I let the cool water release my throat tension before placing it back on the table.

"I don't know how it happened." I admitted. My memory was weak and I remember that it used to happen often with me after my panic attacks, they had worsened and that scared me because I would have said something I didn't want to say in my panic attack. I definitely didn't want that.

"This is the last time you pull this off," she warned me with her dark brown eyes. "You're attracting way more attention and it has to stop now before our secrets are revealed to the police." she said and she was right. I couldn't help but feel like that guy was already curious to who I was.

Something was not right and I had to find out what it was before it would find me.

"Don't worry." I assured. I was already feeling agitated at the possibility that Victoria was hiding another thing from me. Either that or she didn't want me to know.

The nurse came in and we both went silent, she informed me that I could leave after signing some kind of form. We finished all the process and I had to leave with Victoria and skip the rest of my classes.

The sunset didn't match my own feelings but it put some serene contrast. I was a shaken up mess and I felt like I didn't belong to this world.

I was supposed to die. Reminding myself that I had nobody in this world and that my relatives probably thought I was nonexistent since my parents cut off ties with all of their extremely religious families. If it wasn't for Victoria, I could have died already and I would have felt relieved.

I fidgeted along the ride while Victoria drove us away back to her moderate vintage house with Victorian styled curtains and huge Morrocan carpets that filled the ground. I never felt comfortable in her house and I could never get accomodated to it from the moment she brought me in.

"How was the principal?" she asked in hopes of cutting off the tension but it made it worse since I was supposed to go back to his office so he could investigate my existence.

"He was welcoming." I retorted and she grimaced, fully knowing what I meant.

"Is he the same old jerk I am related to?" she asked even though she knew the answer to that. Victoria revealed that the princial was her step brother along the info about her son's story.

"Yes and there are some weird guys that attended." I decided to let her in a small part of what happened since I didn't fully trust her. Even though she gave me a home and a fresh start away from police, I still didn't let her in.

I had way too many questions and none of them were answered.

"Who were they?" she probed me to tell but I shrugged like I didn't have a clue at all.

"You have to know then, we need to eliminate every possibility of doubt or it will haunt us." she sneered as her hands gripped the steering wheel and her eyes had that faraway look. I could tell whatever doubt there was, it triggered her.

We reached the house and I felt the usual tingles in my hands due to my anxiety or overthinking. I didn't know what happened to me anymore, I was a shell of a human. I didn't know how to control my body anymore.

Victoria Vincent was a thirty-five years old woman with a determined mind and the half devil when it came down to her son and the criminal. I could tell she wasn't backing down.

I retied my hair with my awfully shaking fingers and sat down as Victoria took out the dry leftover meatloaf only to place it in front of me.

Not feeling hungry, I continued to observe Victoria as she took a chunk of the meatloaf and sat down in front of me.

"What is our plan?" I questioned her as my hand grabbed my other hand in contemplation.

She swallowed the piece she was chewing with difficulty but managed to get it down her throat.

"I'm thinking of going back to my ex husband's house for my son's paperwork, I might find clues there," she declared and I bit my lower lip as I squeezed my hands tighter together. "I might find my son." she admitted with a glimmer of hope in her caramel colored eyes.

I felt envious towards her because she got lucky that her son might be alive. That hope was just not there for me, I had to witness every incident happen in front of me while she had her freedom, she had her family and she could find her son.

Looking at her, I could tell she was feeling suspicious about me too.