i. kook queen

CHAPTER ONE:KOOK QUEEN(episode one: the pilot)

CHAPTER ONE:
KOOK QUEEN
(episode one: the pilot)

■ ■ ■ ■ ■

HURRICANE AGATHA HAD SHOWN no mercy on the Outer Banks. Much like everyone else on the island, Haven had been kept up the entire night by howling winds and crackling thunder, the incessant pitter-patter of rain on the tin roof. It left her in a fowl mood when she rose the next morning to an absolute mess in her front yard. 

"Jesus Christ," she muttered as she pushed open the screen door and stepped out onto the porch. "Agatha, what the fuck?"

The Murphy women had been living in the shack they called a house for just over a month now. It was actually Haven's grandparents' house but it was passed down to her mother, Melinda, when her grandmother died. Her uncle definitely wasn't interested in the place, so it turned out to be their saving grace after the accident. But as per their luck, Hurricane Agatha had messed up the admittedly unstable roof over their heads. The front yard was practically a swimming pool as water struggled to flow down the drains. A tree had fallen across the road, effectively trapping them at the end of a cul-de-sac. And just to make things that bit worse, a few large branches had landed on the planks above the porch, poking holes through the wood and allowing for water to gather around the front door. 

"Oh, you've got to be kidding me," Haven sighed as her socked feet stepped into the offending puddle. Could this morning get any worse?

"Afraid not," Melinda Murphy sighed as she made her way up the driveway. The blonde woman had been down at the front gate chatting to one of their neighbours about the damages when she spotted her daughter outside, a frown on her face as she looked around. "That tree's gonna be there for days."

"Weeks, even," Haven muttered. "God only knows that no one cares about The Cut."

Despite her nod of agreement, Melinda's lips twisted into a displeased pout at the mention of their new home. Melinda Maybank was born and raised in Outer Banks. She grew up in the very house she now resided in with her parents and younger brother, Luke, so she was no stranger to the pogue life, but the years she'd spent on the mainland and the five months on the kook side of the island had given her a taste of riches she never wanted to let go of. But without Darren bringing in his income as a lawyer, they just couldn't keep their nice house overlooking the beach. Instead, they were stuck back where Melinda's nightmares began.

"Do you have work today?" she asked Haven when the awkward silence began to be a bit too much. They didn't know how to cope with each other anymore. They were never particularly close if Haven was being honest, but her dad had always acted as the buffer for their clashing personalities. Without him, they were lost. 

Shaking her head, she said, "No, but I might head over and see if they need help cleaning up. It's a mess here but at least we made it through okay."