xxii. flying high

CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO:FLYING HIGH(episode six: parcel nine)

CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO:
FLYING HIGH
(episode six: parcel nine)

■ ■ ■ ■ ■ 

HAVEN DIDN'T SLEEP A wink on the uncomfortable floor of Heyward's boat. She stayed up the entire night listening to Kie and Sarah's light snores, eventually stealing Sarah's blanket as the wind got a bit too cold. The blonde girl woke up first the next morning, narrowing her eyes at a sheepish Haven before chuckling at her.

"I thought I was dreaming when I felt you steal that from me," she said as she tugged at the end of the blanket.

"I was cold, okay?"

"Mhm."

"We should wake Kie."

"Too late," Kie yawned as she sat up and stretched her arms above her head. "It's impossible to sleep with you two giggling away in my ears."

"Sorry," Sarah said, though she didn't really sound apologetic. "This one stole my blanket and left me to freeze to death."

"I thought snakes were supposed to thrive in the cold," Haven said innocently before cackling as Sarah gasped and smacked her leg.

"Why do I get the feeling that's not the first time you've made a snake joke about me?"

"It isn't," Kie smirked.

In the end, Sarah just shrugged at them. "I suppose I deserve that."

Not long after the girls woke up, the others came back on the HMS Pogue. They were dressed in clothes far more comfortable than their damp swimsuits, exchanging triumphant smirks as they spied the three girls sitting on the edge of the other boat, Haven with a blanket around her shoulders considering she'd left her shirt on the HMS Pogue the day before.

"Uh-oh, did you forget your keys or something?" Pope called out teasingly.

"Yeah, you need a tow?" John B added.

"Shut up before I make you," Haven grumbled. She heard JJ mutter a 'bet Pope would like that' but for once, she ignored him. She was too tired for his bullshit. And cold. Despite it being Summer, she was visibly shivering.

"Here," Pope chuckled as he passed her an unfamiliar oversized shirt. "Figured you might need this."

Haven accepted it gratefully, discarding the blanket in order to pull the plain black tee over her head. It smelled like him. "This doesn't mean I forgive you."

"Oh, of course not."

"John B," Kie narrowed her eyes at the boy, who grinned and said, "What's that?"

"So you're the mastermind, huh?"

"Actually, this was all Arden and me."

"Arden," Sarah gasped with mock hurt.