xiv. up in flames

CHAPTER FOURTEEN:UP IN FLAMES(episode four: spy games | trigger warning: mentions of violence)

CHAPTER FOURTEEN:
UP IN FLAMES
(episode four: spy games | trigger warning: mentions of violence)

■ ■ ■ ■ ■

HAVEN DID NOT FEEL like watching a movie with a bunch of other teenagers for three hours but Kie had other plans as she dragged an unenthusiastic Haven, Arden, Pope and JJ to her favourite outdoor cinema. Kie was a lover of drive-ins, and since there wasn't one on The Cut that the boys could also enjoy, this was the next best thing. It was on the edge of Figure Eight meaning there were more kooks than pogues, but it was something Kie believed they could all enjoy, a nice break from the intensity of John B's treasure hunt.

"I'm so glad they're still doing this," she exclaimed as she happily lead them over to an empty patch of grass in the centre of the crowd. "Keep calm, carry on, back to OBX life, you know?" Haven shook her head in a 'no, I do not know, can we please just leave?' gesture but Kie ignored her as she sat her chair down with a grin. "Aren't you guys glad that I made you come?"

"Oh yeah," Haven scoffed, tugging at the sleeve of her sweatshirt as she anxiously looked around.

"Ecstatic," Pope let out a sigh from where he stood beside her.

"My couch was pretty comfy, I'll be honest," JJ grumbled, brutal to the point of awkwardness.

"God, at least try and seem happy, you guys," Arden rolled her eyes at them. When Haven and Pope just shot her the same blank stare, she drew her lips into a mocking pout. "Aw, what has gotten the Hope ship in a bad mood? Tell Mama Arden, I've been told that I give great relationship advice."

"You know what has me in a bad mood? You," Pope deadpanned, to which Arden just laughed and patted him on the shoulder. "Oh, Pope, I'm a delight to spend time with."

"Ah, that's debatable," Haven muttered but plastered on a too-wide smile when Arden turned to look at her cluelessly.

Once they'd set their chairs up in a row, Kie decided to head over to the make-shift bar selling sodas at the back of the cinema. Haven had requested a lemonade but she didn't feel like she could stomach anything, especially not when Arden had asked for a rum and coke and got a lecture and a half from Kie about drinking while she was pregnant.

"It was just a joke," she pouted to JJ as he patted her on the head sympathetically.

A few minutes went by before Kie returned with an armful of soda cans. She handed Haven her lemonade and Arden a coke without the rum before turning to look at Pope and JJ suspiciously.

"So I just saw Rafe," she commented, causing both the boys and Haven to freeze. "He said, and I quote 'tell your boy that we know what he did.' What does that mean?"

"Oh no," Arden groaned as she watched Pope begin to freak out. "I was only gone for a few hours, what did you idiots do?"

"Pfft, nothing," JJ chuckled before questioning Kie nervously, "Where is he?"