li. tell it to my heart

CHAPTER FIFTY-ONE:TELL IT TO MY HEART(episode seven: the bonfire)

CHAPTER FIFTY-ONE:
TELL IT TO MY HEART
(episode seven: the bonfire)

■ ■ ■ ■ ■

TWO WEEKS CAME AND went in what seemed like the blink of an eye. Each day blurred into the next, the same old routine; a string of sleepless nights spent burrowed in by grief and guilt, broken hearts and splintered minds. The whole world had fallen apart in a domino effect of disasters, and now they were free-falling, one after the other. It was hard to describe in any other way than that.

Starting with Melinda. Haven and her mother had never been so distant. Once the woman finally returned after three days of Haven reeling in her absence, she made her daughter promise to never mention it to her again. Whether it was denial or the urge to just let demons lie to rest, Haven didn't know, but she did what Melinda demanded, and that was that. Luke Maybank's name would never be said again in their household, not if Melinda had anything to do with it. As far as she was concerned, she didn't have a brother. She had no family but her daughter and her nephew, and she liked it that way.

Meanwhile, on the other side of the island, Sarah and John B had broken up. Not even a day after Ward Cameron went up in smoke, the two had called it quits in an argument that forced the pogues to pick sides. For Haven had been right. Sarah resented John B's cool indifference, and John B refused to budge. He wouldn't say he was happy that Ward Cameron was dead, but he definitely didn't care, and that, according to the devil's daughter, was just too much for her.

Haven had seen them argue before, but not like this. This seemed permanent, something they just couldn't come back from. Haven hadn't seen Sarah in over a week now, the blonde splitting most of her time between comforting Arden in her own grief or traipsing around Figure Eight with Topper at her side. Haven, in total honesty, didn't mind. She wasn't sure what to say to Sarah whereas things were easy with John B. In a complete three-sixty, Haven and John B were as thick as thieves, even closer, at times, than she was with her own blood. Haven spent most of her days cooped up at the Chateau. Sometimes, JJ and the pogues were there too, but it was usually just her and John B alone.

But Haven liked it that way. She had a feeling she knew why, but the words never came out how she wanted them to. Instead, Haven buried them deep, hiding them out of sight as their lives slowly repatched themselves, brick by holy brick.

On the day John B was set to return to school, he and Haven were woken by Arden marching into the house. From her spot on the couch, Haven rubbed her eyes, wondering if she was seeing things. But there she was, clear as day; Arden Kim with the brightest smile Haven had ever seen on her face.

Since Haven saw her last, Arden had dyed her fringe blonde and trimmed her hair to a length that was just a bit longer than Haven's own hair. She seemed happy, genuinely, so much so that Haven barely noticed the exhausted rings beneath her eyes.