xxx. not quite love

CHAPTER THIRTY:NOT QUITE LOVE(episode nine: the bell tower)

CHAPTER THIRTY:
NOT QUITE LOVE
(episode nine: the bell tower)

■ ■ ■ ■ ■

"POPE, YOU CLOCKED THAT car, man," JJ wheezed to himself as they cruised down the road, no police officers or other cars in sight. After John B had run for it, the group were left on high alert, but only Kie and Haven were taking it seriously. Even Arden had calmed down considerably, just vibing in the backseat beside Kie and JJ. She'd forced herself between them once she was sure the police had lost their trail, leaving Pope to take over the wheel again and Haven to hope and pray there were no more letterboxes around for him to flatten. So far so good, but with JJ lighting up a blunt in the backseat and Pope taking the occasional hit of it, she knew it was only a matter of time. "Like, that was so bad."

"I'm just glad I'm not driving right now," Pope shrugged, Haven's eyes going wide as JJ's laughs grew louder. Surely, she wasn't the only one who saw the problem with that.

Fortunately, Kie had reached her wit's end. She shot JJ a frustrated glare before turning her attention to Pope, tapping his shoulder repeatedly until he let out a sigh and looked over at her, not even bothering to slow the car down as it veered between the white lines.

"What?"

"Pull over!"

Pope heaved another sigh, this one more annoyed than the last, and pushed down hard on the brakes. Haven spluttered as her seatbelt dug into her chest, lurching back in her chair as Kie scrambled across Arden's lap and out the door. A moment later, she was situating herself behind the wheel and Pope was pouting as he dropped down next to a now grinning Arden.

"JJ, it's not funny, he shouldn't be driving," Kie snapped as the blonde boy continued to chuckle to himself.

"Mama's mad," he murmured, before quickly raising his hands in surrender as both Kie and Haven wheeled around to glare at him.

"Let's just go, Kie," Haven grumbled, gesturing for her to start up the car again. As they took off at a normal speed once more, she turned around to watch the three still giggling in the back like a disappointed parent. "Jesus. I think I'm getting high just from the second-hand smoke. Arden, your rolled-down window isn't doing shit."

Arden frowned at her, huffing, "Well, at least I tried."

"You did, baby," JJ assured her much to Haven's frustration. She rolled her eyes and turned back around, catching Kie's own furious gaze in the rear-view mirror and clenching her jaw. Kie just sighed back and looked away, knowing there was nothing more they could possibly say to subdue the three idiots. "Hey, Kie. Where are we goin'?"

"The last place they're going to look."

With that, she drove them off the road and down a weather-beaten dirt track shrouded by dense trees. Haven felt dread pool in her stomach as she began to recognise their surroundings, the run-down houses replaced by pristine lawns, picket-white fences, brightly lit mansions showcasing the sheer wealth of Figure Eight. Kie had taken them to the Cameron House. When she said she was taking them to 'the last place they'll look' this really wasn't what Haven had expected.