xli. pogues who cried wolf

CHAPTER FORTY-ONE: POGUES WHO CRIED WOLF(episode two: the heist)

CHAPTER FORTY-ONE:
POGUES WHO CRIED WOLF
(episode two: the heist)

■ ■ ■ ■ ■

SO KIE AND ARDEN had found the gun after all. That at least made Haven feel a little bit better, but any hopes she had of her mood improving were dashed by the realisation that they had to go visit their new Sheriff. So with heavy hearts, they wrapped up the gun in case there were somehow still fingerprints on it, and walked the four blocks it took them to get to Kildare County’s Sheriff Department. They must’ve looked like a hot mess; six teenagers smelling like shit and drenched to the bone, but none of them could bring themselves to care with what they knew was coming. Even Haven had hope this time. Surely, Shoupe couldn’t turn them away now. They had everything he needed to start an investigation, to open a door that would let John B and Sarah come home.

But something about the look on his face when he saw them come in, when JJ proudly unveiled the gun on the desk and stepped back, just told Haven Murphy that her hopes were for nothing. Kiara Carrera and Arden Kim had almost died for this, and yet he looked at them like they were time-wasters, Outer Banks’ very own boy who cried wolf.

“So, y’all are telling me this is the firearm that Rafe Cameron killed Peterkin with?”

“That’s exactly what we’re telling you, Shoupe,” JJ nodded.

“And the exact same firearm that Ward just used to kill Gavin,” Pope added.

Shoupe sighed to himself. “And where’s that corpse again, hm?”

“Didn’t you look?” Kie frowned, looking positively out-of-place in the chair opposite a police officer’s desk. Haven wasn’t sure what it was. Maybe, it was the brown tinge to her skin of dirt and shit, or maybe it was the fact she was a kook, she just looked strange to her. But that didn’t matter right now. What mattered was Shoupe’s unimpressed glower.

“I checked the hospital. I went by his house. He was out.”

“He was out?” Arden repeated with an incredulous laugh. “Shoupe, come on now—”

“Yeah, no shit he was out, he’s dead,” JJ added with a scoff.

“Shoupe, listen to yourself,” Kie sighed. “It makes perfect sense—”

But Shoupe, as usual, wasn’t having it. “Just because he’s not in his damn home does not mean he was a victim of a homicide.”

“Shoupe, please, you don’t understand—” Haven cut herself off, hands clenching into fists at her side. It was no use. Even addressing him felt like talking to a brick wall.