xxi. when life gives you lemons

CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE:WHEN LIFE GIVES YOU LEMONS(episode six: parcel nine)

CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE:
WHEN LIFE GIVES YOU LEMONS
(episode six: parcel nine)

■ ■ ■ ■ ■

HAVEN HAD EVERY INTENTION of avoiding Kie and Sarah, for as long as she was plausibly able to. She didn't show up at the Chateau the next morning like the pogues had planned. Instead, she woke up after her mother left to spend the day with a friend, lying in bed with Rosie cuddled into her side. For a while, she didn't even answer the door when someone came knocking, but at the familiar sound of Pope's voice calling out to her, she slowly got up to answer him. She might've been mad at Kie, but he didn't deserve to be ignored.

And that was how she found herself stuck on a boat with Kiara Carrera and Sarah Cameron.

After several minutes of Pope trying to convince her to spend the day out on the water with him (looking back on it, she should've known when he had the HMS Pogue at his house instead of the Chateau that something strange was happening) she gave in and changed into a simple bikini, throwing on a button-up crop top and a skirt before going on their way. They weren't even driving for five minutes when Pope received a text message, sighing before changing directions.

"Hey, we have to make a slight detour," he said as Haven looked at him questioningly. "John B just texted. He and JJ took my dad's boat out fishing and the engine gave out."

"Alright," she muttered. "It won't take too long to fix, will it?"

"Shouldn't," he shrugged before smiling tensely when she turned to face him. "Depends how much they've messed it up."

"Oh, god, okay."

They sat in silence for a moment before Haven discarded her shirt as the heat began to get uncomfortable. She looked away for just a second and turned back around to unfortunately familiar surroundings; Figure Eight, with Kie's house not far off in the distance.

"Pope..."

"Look, I know you don't want anything to do with her," he sighed before she could berate him. "But she's the best with this sort of stuff. You won't have to be around her for long."

"You promise?"

"I promise, Haven."

Just as he said that, they pulled up at the Carrera jetty. Kie was waiting at the end of it, her smile falling when she noticed the dark-haired girl sitting tensely at Pope's side. Clearly, she hadn't known Haven would be there either.

"Hey, Pope," she greeted as she clambered over the edge of the boat. "Hey, Have..."

Haven just scowled and turned her head in the opposite direction. If she absolutely had to, she'd deal with Kie's presence, but that didn't mean she'd talk to her. She heard both Kie and Pope sigh before the former wandered to the front of the boat, sitting down and also turning away from her. They drove the rest of the way to wherever John B and JJ were in silence.