vii. the new ghostbusters

CHAPTER SEVEN:THE NEW GHOSTBUSTERS(episode two: the lucky compass)

CHAPTER SEVEN:
THE NEW GHOSTBUSTERS
(episode two: the lucky compass)

■ ■ ■ ■ ■

OUT OF ALL THE places they could've hidden, Haven did not expect to end up in John B's stuffy chicken coop. After seeing the two men (were they hitmen? ex-members of the mafia? who knew at this point?) enter John B's home to absolutely trash the place in search of them and the compass, they'd bolted out the office window to the first place they could find that would cover them. As it so happened, that place was the pen that John B's father had built for their beloved rooster. The animal looked outraged as they crawled inside, squawking so loud that Haven was surprised the men hadn't immediately found them.

"Keep it down, keep it down," John B hissed as he cautiously peered through cracks in the wooden walls.

"Tell that to your chicken, dumbass," Haven grumbled. She ignored JJ as the blonde sat up to glare at her, just scoffing as he defensively said, "He's not a chicken, Haven, have some respect."

"We have more important things to worry about right now," she exclaimed. "Like if the chicken, rooster, whatever it is, doesn't stop making so much noise, we're going to get caught."

JJ sighed but before he could say anything, his eyes went wide and he pushed his way outside. The others called after him in protest, Haven almost following him if it wasn't for Pope worryingly grabbing her wrist and the sight of Arden Kim being gently shoved inside by JJ. She wasn't sure why the girl was there, but JJ's frantic reaction now made sense. His hands lingered over the outline of her stomach with a sad but relieved glint in his eyes before everyone's attention went back to the terrified rooster. It was only just getting used to them, now another random person had crawled into its home.

"Oh my god," Haven whimpered. "We are so dead. It was nice knowing you guys."

"Fuck! Do something, Pope, shut him up."

"What do you want me to do?" Pope retorted incredulously. "I'm not the chicken whisperer, JJ."

"Just pet it or something, or talk to it," Kie said, barely holding it together as tears began to stream down her face.

Haven wanted to reach out, hold her hand or hug her tight, but she couldn't move. Don't get her wrong, she felt the same way, but she refused to cry. Nothing made sense outside of the erratic beat of her heart. It was like her brain hadn't truly processed just how much danger they were in. She could see the two men making their way outside with boxes of Big John's research in their arms, but their close proximity wasn't registering through the chaos unravelling inside the coop. The rooster was getting louder, so loud that the men outside were beginning to get suspicious. They had to do something.

Just as that thought crossed Haven's mind, JJ released Arden and launched across the pen. Haven found herself unable to look away as he squeezed the rooster's neck tight, the animal squealing before bone crunched and the coop went quiet. One second passed. Then two, three. Kie burst into silent sobs while everyone else sat in shock, JJ stumbling back with a look of disbelief on his face.