ix. second chances

CHAPTER NINE:SECOND CHANCES(episode three: the forbidden zone)

CHAPTER NINE:
SECOND CHANCES
(episode three: the forbidden zone)

■ ■ ■ ■ ■

"DORITOS FOR BREAKFAST?" HAVEN chuckled as she watched Arden scoff down a bag of chips like her life depended on it. It was the next morning, and Haven had decided to stay the night at the Chateau with the rest of the pogues, crashing in the spare bed with Kie and herself on either side of a snoring Arden. In the past when the girls had sleepovers, Arden always ended up in a separate room after the girls eventually got annoyed with her snoring, but neither Kie or Haven cared that night as they crawled under the covers and fell asleep almost immediately. This whole Royal Merchant business was really taking a lot out of them if they could tolerate Arden Kim for the entire night.

And that lead them to now. The four pogues plus Haven and Arden were crammed into John B's tiny kitchen, the boy in question currently on the receiving end of an infamous Arden Kim glare.

"Well, someone made sure that I—"

"Ard, it's way too fucking early for this," he groaned before she could continue chewing him out. Arden's voice was naturally annoying as it was, it was too much when she went out of her way to be sassy.

In the end, she just stuffed another handful of chips into her mouth and raised an eyebrow at him, silently demanding an explanation. Now that she was wide awake and could think things over with a clear head, she wanted answers and wouldn't rest until John B or someone gave them to her. John B knew it too, for he sighed and shared a wary glance with the others, unsure where to begin.

"Ard, what do you remember about the Royal Merchant ship wreck?" he asked after a moment's contemplation. Not a bad start, Haven thought as she watched Arden shoot John B and unimpressed scowl, or not.

"It's some made up story about a pot of hidden gold," she rolled her eyes. "Kinda like the Irish and their gold after the rainbow — which is a big let down, I'll have you know."

Haven snickered, though she quickly smothered the sound as she watched John B's face scrunch up in annoyance. Right, not the time. "Okay... and what would you say if I told you the treasure was real?"

"If it were real?" she repeated in disbelief. "I'd say count me in. I need the money to emancipate myself from my mother and get the fuck out of here. But it's only a myth, John B."

All amusement was gone now as Haven discreetly placed a hand on her friend's knee. Everybody knew that Arden Kim did not get along with her mother, but only Haven knew just how far that hatred went. When Arden said she wanted to 'get the fuck out of Outer Banks' she meant it. Her mother was only holding her back, forcing her into a life she didn't want for herself or her baby, especially when JJ wasn't part of it.

"Why..."

"Well, I'm glad you asked that, my former friend," John B grinned, though the smile quickly fell as everyone glowered at his choice of words. "Uh, anyway. It turns out my dad was looking for the treasure before he went missing, Ard."