xlvi. me and your ghost

CHAPTER FORTY-SIX:ME AND YOUR GHOST(episode four: homecoming)

CHAPTER FORTY-SIX:
ME AND YOUR GHOST
(episode four: homecoming)

■ ■ ■ ■ ■

DESPITE HAVING NO REAL use for it, JJ and Arden had decided to keep the hot tub that JJ brought with Barry's drug money. For a while, it sat unused in John B's backyard, but the pogues were quick to dust it off once they returned with the beer. Arden and Harlow were already waiting for them inside, and Sarah was quick to rush in to meet her god daughter. Kie and Pope weren't far behind her, leaving John B to watch in amusement as JJ and Haven fought over the controller for the portable speaker.

"JJ, I said no," Haven scowled as he opened up a country playlist on his phone. At first, he used to play the songs just to annoy the pogues and Haven, but Haven had a feeling that JJ was actually starting to like some of them.

He smiled as he picked one out, only to be stopped by Haven attempting to snatch his phone from his hands. "Oh, come on, Haven," he rolled his eyes. "Country really sets the mood, don't you think?"

"No," she deadpanned, arms folding stubbornly.

"Well, tough," he huffed. "John B agrees with me, so you're outvoted."

"Uh, since when?" She turned to look at John B questioningly, but John B only raised his hands in surrender, grinning as he took a nonchalant sip from his beer can.

"I'll let you two figure this out," he said, causing her to sigh and turn back to JJ, who wore a triumphant grin as he reopened his and Arden's shared Spotify and pressed play.

"JJ―"

But it was too late. Achy Breaky Heart started blaring from the speakers, prompting the others to come outside with matching scowls on their faces.

"See, Haven," he beamed at her. "Everyone loves it."

"I honestly can't tell if this is a joke anymore," Kie commented as she and Sarah slipped past to sit in the hot tub.

JJ went to retort but was interrupted by a child-like giggle coming from the baby in Harlow's arms. Immediately, JJ's attention went to Logan, the music long forgotten, allowing Haven to swipe his phone away to change the song.

"Here," she said, and handed it to John B. "You can do the honours."

The song then switched to a rap song that Haven only vaguely recognised, but even then, JJ seemed completely oblivious as he took Logan in his arms and bounded over to where John B stood beside Haven, screeching the opening song of the Lion King as he held the baby up like Rafiki held out Simba.

"Meet your uncle, Logan," he cooed in her ear as he moved to dump her into John B's unexpectant arms. "Alright, I'm gonna grab a beer. You got her, dude?"

"Um, no―"

But JJ was already running inside, leaving Logan peering up at John B curiously. "Uh, hello," he said, awkwardly swaying back and forth. "I'm your Uncle John B... and I don't know what else to say..."