xxvii. shoot me dead

CHAPTER TWENTY-SEVEN:SHOOT ME DEAD(episode eight: the runaway)

SHOOT ME DEAD
(episode eight: the runaway)

■ ■ ■ ■ ■

HAVEN, ARDEN AND JJ had decided to stay at the Chateau for the night. Pope and Kie had both been dropped off at their own homes, but the others had nowhere else to go. Even Arden, though she refused to let Haven and JJ in on why. Haven eventually put it down to her mother and didn't push anymore. It would've been hypocritical considering she hadn't told them about her own mother and Liam, no matter how much she wanted to. It just didn't feel right mentioning Liam to Arden. She knew the girl had taken a liking to him after that day at the Country Club. She just wouldn't understand why it hurt Haven so much to see him taking over his dad's place in Melinda's life.

In the end, it was their choice to go to John B's that lead them right to him. He wasn't angry anymore, just abnormally silent and void of emotion as he retreated down to the jetty with the gun still at his side. The rest of the pogues took turns checking in on him until the sun had risen and Kie arrived. Only then did he speak to them, and boy did he have a lot to say.

Not only did he murder Big John, but Ward Cameron had managed to find where the gold was and taken every last bar. Haven's heart swelled with disappointment as she leant her head on Arden's shoulder. All that hard work was wasted after just one night.

"And you're sure he got everything?" Kie asked into the silence that followed John B's explanation.

John B let out a sigh from where he laid across the jetty slats. "Every bar. The whole enchilada."

"Well, goodbye freedom," Arden muttered as she caught JJ's eyes and frowned. "And hello living in the Outer Banks for the rest of my life."

The thought was dire. That night they found that first bar of gold, Haven had allowed herself to dream of a life where she knew no limitations when it came to money, a life spent learning the sunny streets of Brazil, the family his father came from. Now, that dream was squashed beneath the toe of Ward Cameron's boot, ruthless and unforgiving. And not just for her. Arden had been banking on getting away from her mother with her cut. She and JJ were going to start a life together, they were going to create a stable home for Logan, more than what JJ had ever had. That picture seemed so far out of reach now, a hopeful idea lost to the wind.

"Look, it's not like I expected a happy ending or some shit," John B scoffed to himself.

"John B," Kie snapped, snagging Haven's attention away from the laces of her shoes.

She looked up to meet John B's challenging scowl as he forced the cast off his wrist and chucked it to the opposite end of the jetty. "What, Kie? It's a hairline fracture. Who cares?" he sneered as he flexed his wrist.

"You should care. Your arm's going to be messed up for life."

"It's fine. See?" The motion caused Arden to wince and look down at her own cast. Normally, she would be the first to copy him as a sign of support, but she wasn't about to risk the healing of a broken bone just to prove a point. Besides, even if she tried, Haven was right there to stop her.