x. create a distraction

CHAPTER TEN:CREATE A DISTRACTION(episode three: the forbidden zone | trigger warning: mentions of abuse)

CHAPTER TEN:
CREATE A DISTRACTION
(episode three: the forbidden zone | trigger warning: mentions of abuse)

■ ■ ■ ■ ■

THE POGUES DID THEIR best to explain what Haven and Arden had missed on their way to the Salvage Yard. Apparently, Pope had been able to find the spot Big John crossed off on his map after a 'simple' Google Earth search which revealed to the group that, if the Royal Merchant really was where Big John claimed it to be, it would take a lot more than an almost empty scuba tank for them to be able to search it. The ship was supposedly nine hundred feet down, an impossible feat had it not been for JJ's idea to steal a drone from the Salvage Yard where his dad used to work. No one bar Pope protested at this point, not even Arden who was relatively new to what Haven had dubbed as the G-game. Stealing was nothing compared to what they'd had to do, but it didn't mean that Pope had to like it.

"Pope, we're not stealing the drone," John B sighed in frustration after he heard him voice his disapproval for the fourth time since they'd gotten into the van. "We're borrowing it."

Pope just rolled his eyes and crossed his arms over his chest. "Humans are the only animal who can't tell fantasy from reality."

"Wait, did you come up with that?" John B frowned at the same time as Arden smirked and said, "Animals, huh? I didn't take you as a freak in the sheets, Po-Po."

"Sometimes, I wonder just what's happening in that head of yours when you talk," the boy shot her a disgusted glare, huffing to himself as she just laughed before replying to John B, "And no, Albert Bernstein came up with that, but it applies to this whole treasure-hunting thing."

"Oh."

"So, which is it?" he prompted when everyone just sat there in awkward silence. "Fantasy or reality?"

Neither Arden or JJ seemed impressed that he was forcing them to actually think. While Arden scrunched up her nose and muttered under her breath about 'too much brain-power,' JJ just scoffed, refusing to look away from the blunt he was fixing up, "Why are you so weird, Pope?"

"I actually think it's an interesting question," Haven piped up in defence of the boy, though even she had to agree it was a lot to think about. She was only just starting to get used to the shit that John B had dragged them into, re-evaluating her morals was not up there on her list of priorities.

"Of course you do," Arden smirked at her, though she thankfully went ignored as Kie changed the subject.

"It's fantasy, but possible reality."

Now, Haven was more inclined to agree with her, but John B was nothing if not determined. "Reality."

"Yeah," JJ chuckled almost deliriously. His words were muffled by the blunt now hanging from his lips, his beloved lighter flickering between his fingers. "Virtual reality."