xxiii. long way to fall

CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE:LONG WAY TO FALL(episode seven: dead calm)

LONG WAY TO FALL
(episode seven: dead calm)

■ ■ ■ ■ ■

THE HIGH OF THEIR victory lasted well into the next day. Once they'd put enough distance between themselves and Mrs Crain's house, and they were sure she wasn't going to fly up beside them on a broomstick to take back her gold, the group decided to split down the middle for the rest of the night. Originally, they were heading back to the Chateau to celebrate with beer and pizza, but Arden had what she called a 'genius plan' and insisted on a Quartet sleepover at Kie's house. Unfortunately for her, Haven and Sarah immediately crashed, leaving Arden to bug Kie into all hours of the morning. She didn't seem to mind, though, for the others found her piling waffles onto a plate for Arden when they came to.

"Quartet, assemble," the Korean girl exclaimed as Sarah hopped up on the bench and Haven slumped into the closest chair.

"Who let Arden watch Marvel?" she groaned, her eyes heavy from just a few hours of sleep. She'd intended to rest for a lot longer than three or four hours but was woken by Sarah kicking her leg. Just to spite her, she kicked back until Sarah rolled over to glare at her. "It's way too early for this."

"Well, if the two of you didn't crash straight away then we wouldn't have this problem," Kie huffed as she sat down beside Arden.

"Ladies, ladies, ladies," the girl in question cooed in a placating manner. She was unable to control her smile as she watched them interact, throwing her arms around Kie's shoulders in utter delight. "We can all watch Marvel at a later date, now we must go to the Chateau to get our money."

Haven sighed, rubbing her temples in frustration as Arden continued to chatter away. She'd quickly finished off her waffles and was now clattering the crockery around in the sink, bopping her head to the radio like it wasn't 7am in the morning. "Hulk, give me the strength not to choke her."

Arden raised an eyebrow, her smile morphing into a smirk. "You are one kinky bitch, you know?"

Sarah and Kie laughed at the look on her face. "To be fair, you did walk right into that one."

After showering and changing into fresh clothes (Haven had her own designated drawer in Kie's dresser which became her saving grace, she'd rather die than wear her Crain-covered all black outfit again), they gathered in Kie's SVU and headed over to the Chateau. The boys were already up when they pulled into the drive, JJ bounding right up to the passenger door with a smile just for Arden. Haven had hoped for a moment alone with the boy but he and Arden disappeared to annoy Pope, leaving her sitting in the backseat beside Sarah with a frown.

"You two not talking or something?" the blonde girl asked as she glanced between Haven and the direction JJ had gone. "I thought you were getting close."

Haven sighed. "We were, but I messed it up."

"He didn't seem angry at you last night," said Sarah, plastering on a hopeful smile. "Who knows? Maybe he's put it behind him."