lvi. without fear

CHAPTER FIFTY-SIX:WITHOUT FEAR(episode eight: the cross)

CHAPTER FIFTY-SIX:
WITHOUT FEAR
(episode eight: the cross)

■ ■ ■ ■ ■

THE MATERIAL OF JOHN B's beloved neck-tie was rough beneath Haven's hands as she gently wrapped it around the bloody wound on his leg. After Pope looked it over, declaring he was screwed either way when it came to catching an infection, he gave the tie to Haven and insisted she covered it for him. Haven had protested at first, knowing just how much the tie meant to him and his connection to his father, but gave in when John B forcefully shoved the material into her hands, wincing even at the slightest movement of his leg.

"Let me know if this hurts, okay?" she said, hating the sight of pain on his face.

"You're good," he choked out, though his clenched jaw said otherwise.

At last, she was done, and her hand was quick to reach out to intertwine with his as he adjusted his body so his legs were swinging over the edge of the van. He welcomed her touch, squeezing her fingers as the pain continued.

Who would've thought that wrestling a gator would bring on some injuries?

"So what do we do now?" Sarah asked, grimacing at the bloody stains on the roof.

"We wait," Haven sighed. She was growing sick of the pesky sound of cicadas. Not to mention every snap of a tree branch made her worry the gator had returned for seconds; or worse, had brought along some of her friends.

"Or not," Pope grumbled, his glare finding a car appearing in the distance. "Speak of the freaking devil."

Arden smiled sheepishly from the bed of Mr Carrera's van, not yet noticing John B's ruffled appearance as Kie kept on beeping the horn while reversing to the edge of the water.

"Look who it is," Pope continued spitefully. "The tortoise and the tortoise — oh, and look, another freaking tortoise. Just a couple of hours late. Where the hell were you guys?"

Arden and Kie exchanged a grim glance behind JJ's back as Kie came around to help her to the ground. "Paternal complications," the latter explained, as Arden looked ready to explode at just the thought.

"Luke was at the Chateau," JJ explained when Haven and the others made sounds of confusion. He refused to look at his cousin, especially when she gasped and let out an outrageous 'what the fuck?'

There was no way...

He was meant to be in prison.

Why the fuck wasn't he in prison?

"Oh, great," Pope let out a scoff. "Well, while you were having family time with your pops, John B got bit by a gator."

"Wait, for real?" JJ exclaimed as the girls shared horrified gasps.