xviii. want you dead

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN:WANT YOU DEAD(episode five: midsummers)

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN:
WANT YOU DEAD
(episode five: midsummers)

■ ■ ■ ■ ■

THE DRIVE TO THE Hawk's Nest was the worst twenty minutes of Haven's life. Okay, scratch that, she'd definitely suffered far worse situations, but those twenty minutes definitely made it into the top five times Haven Murphy hated her existence. When the pogues had eventually headed to where John B had parked the Twinkie, they didn't expect to find JJ sitting in the backseat smoking a blunt and silently crying. He didn't say anything as they got inside, just sat as far away from Haven as possible and stared out the window. No one tried to get him to talk, knowing that it would take just one more wrong word before he exploded like a hand grenade, eradicating everything in sight. Honestly, it surprised all of them when he actually put out his blunt and clapped his hands together as they pulled up outside the Hawk's Nest, the first sign of life flickering across his face.

"Alright, let's hit it, boys," he exclaimed as Haven stared at him warily. "We're goin' on a recon mission."

"Hold up a second," John B stammered from the front seat, refusing to meet Kie's gaze as she turned to frown at him. Oh, good god. "I think I'm gonna do this one by myself tonight..."

"Really?" JJ scoffed.

"What?"

"Nothin', brother."

"Look, I just don't wanna spook Sarah with the peanut gallery."

"Why does it matter if you're just using her for access?" Haven asked, Kie nodding along eagerly, "I just don't understand why we're involving her at all."

"Kie, we're not involving her, okay?" he sighed.

"Alright, then what are we here for?" Haven scoffed. "Just a casual chat with Sarah Cameron?"

"It's just — like a... like a business meeting thing."

"Sounds convincing," she muttered as JJ and Pope snickered to themselves in the background.

"Look, once we get what we need, we cut her loose, alright?" Haven just hummed dismissively, not believing him for a second. He'd make up an excuse every time just so she could stay. That was what puppy love did to someone like John B. "Plus, we need the map."

"Keep telling yourself that, buddy."

He scowled at her, but before he was able to say anything, Kie reached for his arm. "Promise me nothing's happening between you two."

"Nothing is happening, Kie," he rolled his eyes.

"I'm being serious."

"Okay!"

"This isn't about you," she snapped, not liking the way he was mocking her. "And this isn't about us. This is about her. Dude, she's going to get inside your head." If she hadn't already. "Just promise me nothing's happening between you guys."