xvi. daydreaming

CHAPTER SIXTEEN:DAYDREAMING(episode five: midsummers)

CHAPTER SIXTEEN:
DAYDREAMING
(episode five: midsummers)

■ ■ ■ ■ ■

HAVEN REALLY DIDN'T WANT to go to Midsummers. After crying on Kie for an hour then watching several sad movies just to sob some more, the last thought on her mind was dressing up in a pretty dress with a face full of makeup just to play nice with some pig-headed kooks. But alas, when Kie had hopefully asked if Haven would be her date, she couldn't say no. She put it down to Kie's puppy eyes. Haven had never been able to resist those.

"My boobs are about to fall out of this dress," she grumbled as she struggled to adjust the puff sleeves of her off-the-shoulder pale pink dress that Kie had bought for her. It turned out that Kie was banking on her saying yes to her invite, for she'd gone ahead and gotten an outfit for the girl earlier in the morning, much to Haven's chagrin. She didn't like owing people, especially her friends. And even if Kie insisted she didn't want the money back, Haven would return every last cent if it was the last thing she did.

"Are you even wearing it right?" Kie chuckled as she made her way over to where Haven was standing in front of her mirror. She was wearing a gorgeous lavender silk dress with a matching flower crown. Haven had her own headpiece already pinning back her curled hair, a strappy pair of silver heels on her feet to match the necklace around her neck and her earrings. The piece to put it all together was the dress, which Kie fortunately fixed so she didn't look so awkward in it.

"Thanks," she muttered as Kie laughed in amusement and wandered off to do her own thing.

Alone, Haven took a moment to really admire herself. A year ago, if someone had asked her to put on a revealing dress that accentuated her curves, Haven would've seen every 'flaw' before she saw her beauty. She would've ridiculed herself for the way that her thighs rubbed together, for how her stomach wasn't completely flat. She'd have spent hours picking apart the term plus-sized instead of appreciating who she was. She most definitely would not have worn it for anyone to see, and yet she found herself almost excited to show it off, despite the fact it was Midsummers of all places.

"I look hot," she commented to herself.

"Damn right you do," Kie smirked. "Just wait until Pope sees you."

Haven blushed, staring at her wide-eyed. "I don't know what you're talking about."

"Please. Arden's told me all about Hope and I have to say, I ship it."

"Not you too," she groaned. Kie just laughed.

Not even a second later, there was a knock on the door before Mrs Carrera poked her head inside and smiled at them. About halfway through their second movie, Kie's parents had returned to prepare themselves for the evening. If they noticed Haven's splotchy face, they didn't say so. Instead, they greeted the girl kindly before saying how excited they were that she was accompanying them to Midsummers. What a way to find out.