xii. looks that kill

CHAPTER TWELVE:LOOKS THAT KILL(episode three: the forbidden zone | trigger warning: mentions of violence and sexual assault)

CHAPTER TWELVE:
LOOKS THAT KILL
(episode three: the forbidden zone trigger warning: mentions of violence and sexual assault)

■ ■ ■ ■ ■

SEEING AS THEY HAD nothing better to do, Haven and Pope decided to help out Mr Heyward and deliver some groceries to the Kook side of the island. Much to their chagrin, JJ insisted on helping too. Though by some miracle, he stayed focused on the task at hand instead of distracting them. He assisted in loading up Heyward's boat with several plastic bags (thank the lord Kie wasn't around to see them, they would've never made it away from the shop) and then they were on their way, soon noticing that Figure Eight was already cleaned up from the hurricane.

"It doesn't even look like the storm hit there," Pope grumbled from behind the wheel. While he and JJ were sitting inside, Haven was out on the deck making sure the bags were secure, not wanting Mr Heyward to lose any money from a potential tear in the plastic. She knew firsthand from how her own mother used to be; Kooks would dock money if they thought the goods weren't taken care of.

JJ scoffed at Pope's words, muttering, "That's 'cause they got generators, bro. And then they say the juice will be out all Summer at The Cut."

"It's nice to be a Kook."

"Lucky bastards."

Soon enough, they were docking outside the Country Club's jetty and splitting the bags into three different orders. Pope was delivering to the Riley couple who Haven knew worked for Arden's mother, JJ had a bag for the wicked witch of the west herself, Rose Cameron, and Haven had two bags for an elderly woman who lived on the water with more money than she knew what to do with. With more grumbles about Kook privilege, they agreed to meet back at the boat in ten before going their separate ways.

Fortunately, Haven's delivery was quick and easy. One of the lady's maids answered the door and took the groceries without a word, shoving more money than was necessary into Haven's hands before slamming the door in her face. Haven was just beginning to count the notes as she walked back when she quite literally ran into Arden Kim.

"Well, if it isn't Havey-Wavey," the girl in question grinned while Haven frantically gathered the money before it could fly away. "What are you doing out this way? Visiting your mum at work?"

Haven snorted at that. "I'd rather sit down for tea with Rafe Cameron." Arden scrunched up her nose in disgust, the two girls laughing before Haven noticed the picture clutched in her hand, "Hey, did you get to see jellybean?"

Just as Arden went to eagerly reply, there was a pained cry from the direction of the Country Club's golf course. Haven's face paled, her feet instinctively guiding her with a confused Arden following behind. Pope had gone that way, and something in that cry had been awfully familiar.