xliii. late nights

CHAPTER FORTY-THREE:LATE NIGHTS(episode three: prayers)

LATE NIGHTS
(episode three: prayers)

■ ■ ■ ■

ARDEN AND KIE MUTUALLY decided not to mention the heated moment that occurred outside Kie's house. It was clear to Haven that both girls were angry at each other, for entirely different reasons, but they had more important things to focus on, things they couldn't afford to be divided for. Even Arden and Brec were getting along, though Haven could tell it was more for the benefit of getting through Charleston in one piece. It was nice, though. For a moment, she could pretend.

"My parents are so paranoid of me being a pogue, like it's the worst thing that could ever happen," Kie sighed the moment they got on the ferry. The door to the back of the van had been jammed open by JJ's tool box he'd left in the back seat, allowing the group to sit around on the floor and outside the door as they waited to dock back on land. Kie used this as another opportunity to rant about her parents, though Haven noticed how careful she was in choosing her words. Like one wrong move would send Arden up in arms again. 

"Hey, I hear they got good weed at boarding school, though," JJ pointed out as he rolled a blunt of his own. 

Kie frowned at him. "I'm not going to boarding school," she insisted, like she had any choice in the matter. "They're gonna have to kidnap me, tie me up and throw me in a van."

"Would boarding school really be that bad?" Brec asked, to which Kie gaped at her.

"Uh, obviously. I'm not made for the boarding school life. I'm a pogue."

Haven wanted to roll her eyes but thought better of it. In all honesty, Haven could see both sides. Anna and Mike just wanted what was best for their daughter, even if she didn't necessarily agree with them. And Kie only wanted freedom, to be friends with whoever she wanted to be friends with, not having to feel like she was suffocating. It was a lose-lose situation.

"Well, I say," JJ cut in before Brec could reply. "That we just crumble some herbs right now."

Kie took the blunt without hesitation, raising it to her lips and inhaling deeply. Smoke lingered in the air as she breathed out, taking another hit before passing it on to Arden, who took it and handed it to Haven without a word. Normally, Haven would've just given it back to JJ, but not today. She took a hit, albeit not as sharp as Kie's, sighing at the scent that clung to her clothing then. She didn't have a change of clothes with her, but hopefully the smell would wear off before she had to see her mother again.

"Hey, Kie, have you tried to hit John B back on that number yet?" Pope asked, finally tearing his gaze away from Limbrey's letter. He frowned as he saw the blunt back in Kie's hand but didn't say anything, just looking at her with an expectant glint in his eyes.