Conscience Development

April Fool's Day, a day of laughs and jokes. It was also Fred and George's birthday, believe it or not. It would seem that it was their fate to become pranksters from the day that they were born. That morning, common room had been filled with balloons and streamers, a pile of presents floating behind them wherever they went. I caught them out in the courtyard, following the laughter that endlessly accompanied them.

"Happy Birthday Fred!" I gave him a hug and handed him his neatly wrapped beaters bat. I had special ordered them for the boys, mostly with Fred in mind but it was hard to by only one twin a gift. Everyone knew that the Weasley's were a bit short on gallons, thus their second hand Quiditch equipment. I passed George's gift to him without actually looking at him but turned my attention back to Fred.

His eyes were alight as he ripped the paper off, revealing the solid mahogany red bats with gold handle grips, and their initials craved into the tips of the bat. His fingers traced the FGW on the end and bounced the bat in his hand. It had set me back but I think it was worth it.

"Thanks Ace" Fred said and pulled me into a one armed hug.

"Yeah this is really something" George commented and my breath caught in my throat. George had talked to me for the first time in months and he wasn't grimacing or giving me a sad puppy dog look. He looked genuinely happy to say the least. He reached out his arm tentatively and wrapped it around my shoulder in an awkward but genuine way.

"You know, some of us Quiditch buffs are planning on having a scrimmage down on the field today, want to come play?" Fred tucked the bat into his satchel as George released me from his grasp, nodding.

"Guy's really, I've just started to fly again but I don't think that I am ready for a full on game of Quiditch." To be honest, I hadn't even been on a broom since George took me flying. The boys nodded understandingly and turned around, walking towards the pitch. I shuffled my feet and looked at the soggy ground covered in slush. The damp air clouded around my head as I let out a visible breath, had George and I really just talked?

"You don't fly?" Ramsey asked, coming up behind me and placing his hands on my hips. Fred and George nodded politely at Ramsey and turned away in the direction of the Quidditch pitch. Fred's final look read of more offence than George, who gave a half-salute on his way out of the courtyard.

I shook my head and leant back into his chest. Ramsey was good, non-complicated, simple, and caring, why wouldn't I like him? He cared about me, didn't cause me trouble, didn't ask why I couldn't go to Hogsmead and sat with me the whole day.

Yeah sure, you keep telling yourself that... said a voice in my head. An auditory conscience I had developed through the past few months of dating Ramsey and so far I was not enjoying it.

Shut up, you don't know what you're talking about, I snapped back internally. IT really had started to annoy me.

Yes I do, I am you whether or not you choose to believe it.

You are not me. Now go away.

I can't go away, even though right now I really would like to. I am a part of you, a very deep part in which you refuse to accept...

I'm hearing voices.... dear Merlin I'm going crazy aren't I?

You are not going crazy now if you please shut your horrendously large mouth for a second so I can at least finish a single thought.

No, you should never listen to the voices in your head. That's when you start to really go crazy. Like in second year with the giant snake. Maybe this is my own giant snake.