Darkness and Moonlight

"Rennervate!"

Narcissa Malfoy was the first thing I noticed when I woke up. She was standing over me, wand pointed sharply at my face. "Get up!" I did as told, standing up on shaky legs. She looked at me with cold eyes as I leaned against the wall to maintain my balance.

She held up her wand and tapped my stomach. The cuts seemed to close a tiny bit and she pushed a water bottle full of thick liquid into my hand. "Drink this." I didn't ask why, and took a hesitant sip, silently hoping that it was poison. She rolled her eyes and headed over to the door.

"I would keep drinking it, if I were you. It's a blood replenisher. And while I don't particularly care if you bleed out... Our Lord still wants you alive" With that, she left the room. If Narcissa was coming to visit me, that had to have meant that my typical torturers were out of range.

The floor hit me hard on my way back down, my knees finally betraying me. The bottle fell out of my hand, the liquid spilling out of the bottle and onto the floor. I layed in the puddle of potion, shaking with exastaution, and didn't bother to get up.

There didn't seem to be a point. I couldn't see anything in the dark cell, and there was nothing to be heard on the floors above to break the silence. Nobody knew where I was, and nobody would probably ever find me. No matter how much I screamed for help, I was as good as dead.

I knew that should have scared me, the thought of death. But at this point, resistance was futile. The torture siphoned every drop of my energy. The was none left to fuel any hope that I would get out of here alive.

I tried to see if I could still cry, but nothing came out. I was out of tears, if that was even possible. I felt around for the bottle on the sticky floor, relishing when I was finally able to feel the crunch of the plastic beneath my fingers. In anger, I attempted to throw it across the room, wishing the bottle was glass so that its shattering could break the silence.

Instead, all I heard was the uncaring, hollow, thud as the bottle missed the wall and hit the floor.

________________________________________________________________________________

The house had been quite all day. Usually, I could hear their footsteps through the floor. But today, not a creek or crack could be heard, not even from the house elf.

Of course, the silence could never last though. After what I could only guess was hours, I heard the burst door open upstairs, much louder than I had heard it before. What sounded like a dozen pairs of feet ran across the floor overhead. I barely had enough energy to open my eyes, praying for sleep to pull me under once more.

What sounded like cannon fire roared stories above me, the house suddenly filled with yells and screams. Finally, the sound of a small explosion drifted down the stairs, light trickling into the corridor. A tiny device scattered across the floor, emitting a high pitched squeal before erupting, blowing open the door of my cell and casting debris in my direction.

My door... was open.

This might be my only chance. I didn't know what was going on on the floor above me, but I didn't bother to ask. Trying to escape was certainly a death-wish, but at this point, I'd welcome death just as much as I'd welcome escape. Either way, I was not going back into that cage.

With every ounce of strength I could possibly muster, I pulled myself back out from under the debris, rising to my feet. Before I could doubt myself, I willed one foot in front of the other, eventually making my way to a jogging pace. The commotion continued upstairs, the air alight with magic being fired from all sides.

A man ran by me, his thin frame surprisingly familiar. Not somebody I would associate with being a death-eater... he almost reminded me of Professor Lupin.