Set Them Up

"Professor Slughorn?" I asked, walking into the NEWTs potions class immediately after dismissal. The round man looked up from his desk and narrowed his pale, gooseberry eyes at me before putting down his quill.

"What may I do for you, dear?" he asked, pushing out of his seat and rounding his desk. "You're not in any of my classes, are you?"

"Actually, Professor, that's what I'd like to talk to you about" I said, rocking back and forth on my heels awkwardly in the doorframe.

His impossibly beady eyes widened and he gestured for me to come in. "In that case, come in, come in!" he shuffled back over to his desk before waving his wand and pulling out a chair for me. "Tea?"

I nodded carefully and sat down across from the man, biting my lip and trying to fight down the feeling of anxiety in my stomach. I watched as the tea poured itself into two tiny cups before he handed me one.

"Now, uhm....." he looked at me quizzically and folded his napkin.

"Acelynne. Acelynne Connors" I said, cupping my hands around my mug and looking around his office briefly.

Slughorn brought his cup back down to the table as he looked at me over his brows, his moustache twitching in recognition. "Any relation to Jacobson Connors?" he asked, his voice dripping with curiosity.

"He's my father" I said, taking a quick sip of my tea and holding back a grimace as I reached for the sugar.

"I remember him well. An amazing student, very quiet. How is he doing?" he said thoughtfully as he smoothed the end of his moustache.

"Well. Now, Professor, if you don't mind me going off-topic, I have a question to ask you" I said, placing my shaking hands under the table. His answer was going to be the thing that literally made, or ruined, my future.

"Oh yes, ask away" he laughed, the dim light overhead reflecting off of his bald head.

"I heard from some of the other students that you were accepting students that achieved an 'Exceeds Expectations' on our OWL exam, instead of the previous 'Outstanding' that Professor Snape wanted?" I twiddled with my thumbs under the table, trying to slow my breathing.

"That is true! Why do you ask? Do you wish to be a part of my class?" he said, his face remaining serious as he pushed his teacup away.

"Yes, I would. You see, I'm aiming on becoming a Healer after a graduate and for that I need to have at least an Exceeds Expectations in NEWTs potions.... Which requires me to actually be in NEWTs potions" I laughed nervously and waited for his answer.

The walrus-like man clasped his hands together on the top of the table and stared at me, which unnerved me quite a bit. What if he said no? Then what would I do with my life? I hadn't thought of any sort of career path until Healer Wincher recommended this to me. Maybe I would have to work at the shop for the rest of my life. Or.... be a trophy wife.

I shuddered at the thought.

"I don't see why it would be a problem, Ms. Connors, as long as you swear that you'll work hard and get all of your work in on time" he said finally, and I let out an audible sigh of relief.

I jumped from my seat and reached my hand over the desk, clasping one of his cold hands in mine and shaking it with vigour. "Thank you Professor, you have no idea how much this means to me! I promise that I'll be the hardest working student in your class!"

"Okay, Ms. Connors" he smiled as I pulled my hand away from his and skipped over to the door. "I believe you."

"I swear I won't let you down!" I said, bubbling with excitement as I ran out of his office and into the corridor.