Saved

The lights flickered for only a second before they came back with five thousand times the intensity. It only made the sight in front of me all too clear. The world had stopped as if someone had it pause on a muggle movie and the room slowly did a three hundred sixty degree spin.

McGonagall's words hung in the air and drifted around my ears, travelling from left to right and back again inside my head. If it was possible, the room became even slower, and the slower the room became the faster the words moved through my brain.

Finally, the words collided in my head like the balls of a pendulum, sending a ripping shock through my body and forcing the room to speed up to its proper place. I stumbled forwards, my hands outstretched to the nearest wall.

The air was too heavy.

The lights were flickering too fast,

The noises in the lobby were entirely too loud, adding to the white noise buzzing between my ears.

I couldn't think or move or do anything but gasp for the air that had left the room.

I couldn't breathe and every single person that walked past, regardless of age or gender, had a sinister smile positioned below their shifty and cruel eyes.

"Ms. Connors" McGonagall said sternly, reaching forward and placing her hands on my shoulders.

She knew, and they probably knew she knew as well. Everyone upstairs was as good as dead, and it was all my fault. I should have hid the box better. I should have burned the box. I should have done something other than hide it under my bed and now, because of my stupidity, everyone was dead.

"Ms. Connors, we understand the severity of the situation but you need to calm down and listen to me." I did something that resembled a nod and she continued.

"Professor Dumbledore is requesting that Ms. Duncan be placed in a high security ward during the duration of her stay, during which she will be under constant surveillance by members of the Order. You understand what the Order is, Ms. Connors?"

Yet again, all I could do was sort of nod.

"Mr. Weasley, Mr. Weasley, and Mr. Jordan will be accepted as members of the Order, which allows us to also keep them under constant surveillance. They will also be told of the situation in order for them to raise their vigilance.

"Ms. Pierce will be sent back to Hogwarts as soon as possible, she will be the safest there." The severity of her voice had yet to falter as she assured me of everyone's safety, demandingly stating that I had absolutely nothing to worry about. It assured me only in the slightest, but the room was slowly filling up again with oxygen. Very slowly.

"Do you understand that the situation you have put your loved ones in is extremely dangerous and selfish? By keeping this a secret you have jeopardized and violated the right to security for each and every one of them?" More nodding, my eyes began to burn as if I was on the brink of tears. I had lost control of everything I thought I had had a handle on, why not my own tears too?

One question continued to swim in my head and I finally worked up my ability to speak. "What about me, professor? What about my dad? What's going to happen to us?" the words fought to break from my lips, trembling as soon as they hit the air.

With a sigh, the reprimanding look on McGonagall's face slowly shifted to one of sadness. "Dumbledore believes that with the rise of You-Know-Who, Hogwarts may have already been infiltrated and is no longer safe for you. Your father has been informed of the situation by now. As soon as night falls, you and your father will be escorted to a safe house by a member of the Order, who will act as your secret keeper. Your things have already been packed.