Tired of Hiding

It had been two months, and we hadn't heard a single thing from either of them. From any of them. It would probably be safe to assume that because George and I had spent so much time apart, I would be used to it.

But I wasn't. Knowing that he still loved me, despite all of the shit I had put him through, made it even harder to be away. I was managing, however, praying to whatever deity there was that he would be okay. Kelly, on the other hand, was having a little bit of difficulty.

Dad and I had created another room in the house for Kelly and Siren, which Kelly had decorated with photos of them and Lee. She was constantly pointing them out to Siren and saying, "Look, 'Ren, there's Daddy!"

"I just want to familiarize her with him" she said, sitting at the dinner table. "We don't know how long we'll be away. How sad would it be if we're finally reunited and her father is a complete stranger to her?"

"That makes sense." I looked over in curiosity at the concoction she gave Siren. It was bright orange and didn't look appetizing in the least, but with every spoonful the little girl squealed with glee.

"Hey girls, I'm going out to get some groceries. Anything you want?" Dad called as he headed for the front door. He got over that cold later rather than sooner, and with the idea that he had narrowly defeated death he decided that it was best to 'seize the day'. So far he had repainted the house and taken up the new hobby of creating hand-made furniture.

I mean, I was glad he had regained his livelihood and Kelly was certainly glad that she got a free baby crib, but it was just odd to see him so spry. He had spent most of his life in a hidden depression about mum and in constant fear that his choice in under-cover work would get us all killed, so let's just say he's never been a consistently cheery person.

"Could you go looking for some grape jelly?" I asked, peering over my shoulder to catch my father wearing a Louisianan Saints cap he'd bought, thinking it was a real football team and not an American football team.

"Grape jelly, got it!" he said.

"Oh, and some extra nappies if they're on sale!" Kelly called.

"Nappies, got it!" he opened the door.

"COOKIES!" Siren squealed, tossing her hands into the air and flinging orange goop onto the walls.

"Cookies, got it!" Dad obliviously walked out the door with a laugh. Kelly and I were both laughing too, until we realized what had just happened.

Kelly's jaw dropped as she turned and looked at her daughter. "My daughter just spoke!" She jumped up, pointing to her daughter in shock. "My daughter just said her first words!" She then walked halfway around the table and back in an obvious panic. "My daughter's first word was cookies!"

Finally she collapsed into her chair with a horrified cry of "MY DAUGHTER IS SPEAKING LIKE AN AMERICAN!"

"We may as well slap a cowboy hat and boots on her" I ruffled Ren's curly hair. "She's practically a Yank."

Kelly pinched her face as though the word brought a bad smell to her nose. "Not that I'm prejudice or anything.... but from now I don't want to hear any of that kind of around her. What the hell is Lee going to think when we get back?!"

I took a mouthful of tea before answering. "Being Southern does have its charms" I said, thinking back to Peyton in the convenience store.

"You want to know what's not charming? What they call football over here! All they do is throw the ball to one another! THERE ARE NO FEET INVOLVED! It's like the pansy version of rugby!" It was at times like these where I suddenly remembered that Kelly was muggle born. I knew what football and rugby were; albeit vaguely so I was sort of lost in her rant.