Holiday Hopelessness

"Pumpkin pasty or cauldron cake?" Kelly asked through a mouthful of pastry. I jumped at the sound of her voice, tearing my eyes away from the window for the first time since I got on the train.

"What?" I sighed and blew the hair from my face.

"Do you want a pumpkin pastry or a cauldron cake?" she repeated slowly, pausing in between every other word as if she was explaining something to a three year old.

"None thanks" and with that, I turned back towards the window. I knew that George had only left last night, and I knew that it was a bit clingy of me to be missing him already... But I did. I missed him like I would miss a lung. Or chocolate.

I heard Laura sigh behind me and place her chocolate frog collector's cards on the table. "When you two are on a break, all you do is mope. Now you're back together, and he leaves a day early, and all you do is mope. Is there no pleasing you?" I could hear the joking tone in her voice as she packed her things into her bag and zipped it up tightly.

"Sorry" I shrugged. "Listen, I don't mean to be such an obsessive girlfriend. I just..." I stopped myself from telling them about the attack on Mr. Weasley. I couldn't help but worry about him and the rest of the family. Worry that he's going to make it through. Worry that the same thing wouldn't happen to George.

"You're just meant to be together" Kelly laughed. "We don't blame yah, Ace. If either of us had found our perfect match, then I'm sure we would be the exact same way."

"Speak for yourself!" Laura shouted and jumped from her seat. "I, Laura Pierce, am destined to spend the rest of my life with Neville Longbottom. I'll make him see that too, once I figure out what I ever did to upset him. And then we'll live happily ever after in our cute little bungalow, overflowing with plants and our love for one another. We'll have four children. Dittany, Daisy, Valerian, and Paul."

"Haven't been thinking about it, have you Laura?" Hermione skipped into the compartment and plunked herself down on the seat beside me. "You know, Neville is a tad shy. Have you ever thought that maybe you're coming on too strong?"

"No" Laura bit her lip and looked around at us. "I don't think I have. I mean... I haven't thrown myself at him. Do you think he's on the train?" Each of us shrugged and she jumped off her seat, taking off down the corridor.

"She's obsessed" Kelly laughed and bit the inside of her thumb. "But you have to admit, it's pretty adorable. Just the idea of them being together makes me giggle, if you know what I'm getting at."

"Yeah, but I don't even think he knows that she likes him" Hermione rolled her eyes at this 'trivial' matter. "They should probably be focusing on their OWLs, anyways."

"Ugh. If I hear one more thing about OWLs, I'm going to throw myself out of the window" Kelly sighed and stood up as well. "I'm off to find the trolly. I do think that some sweet are in order."

"In order of what?" I looked up at her and caught a glimpse of her red hair as she round the corner.

"You don't need to have a reason to eat sweets!" she called back to us, laughing slightly.

"Do they know?" Hermione's voice dropped below a whisper and she moved closer to me. "About Mr. Weasley?"

"No!" I yelled and Hermione promptly shushed me. "No, of course not!"

"Well Dumbledore told me this morning. I'm taking the Knight bus to Grimmauld place as soon as I get off the train. Care to come with me?"

I paused for a moment to consider her offer. I'm sure my dad wouldn't mind if I took off for a day or so, I mean Arthur was his friend and he was in the hospital. He'd probably want to come with me, but I don't think they would want too many people visiting him at once, without invitation either.