Hope is Lost

I was roused slowly from my sleep, the lack of solid ground beneath me becoming apparently clear as I flexed my fingers, grasping for a sheet, a mattress, the stones of the floor. Instead, I grasped at the air and nothing else. Nothing of substance supported my neck or back as I opened my eyes, staring up into the darkness at what I assumed was a ceiling. The room was filled with a buzz, a collective whisper of indistinguishable voices. I was floating.

"Wake up!" The voice that shrieked at me was cruel, a sound that managed to be worse than nails on a chalkboard. It pierced my eardrums, causing me to flinch.

"She is awake" a cold, calm voice announced. A soft thud of feet on solid floor and the whooshing of long robes approached.

I had already deduced that I was likely being levitated, but beyond my fingertips, I was unable to move a muscle. I fought for a moment, begging my arms to relax from my sides, but it was of no use. I was also under the influence of a full-body bind. I was suddenly brought to a vertical angle, finally able to catch a glimpse of my dark surroundings. It was what I could only describe as a boardroom, furnished with a long table which was lined with chairs, many of which were occupied by masked individuals. Death eaters. Deep red velvet was draped over the windows, the only light in the room coming from a chandelier with five large candles.

"Ms. Connors" the cold voice hissed as he approached. I assumed that it was a he, but I had never seen a man who looked so inhuman before. His face was long and gaunt, void of any hair, and dotted with red cat-like eyes. His mouth was a thin line, pulling up at the corners in disgust. "You are Ms.Connors, correct?"

"Maybe" I whispered and he drove his wand into the soft flesh of my side. "Yes" I gave in all too quickly. I glanced around the room once more, taking into inventory the bodies present. Eight individuals sat at the table. The figure of a women stood in the corner, her wand raised at me. A nest of red hair was piled on top of her head, a shade of red which in comparison to the Weasleys, and Kelly, had to be unnatural. A messy coat of lipstick was smeared across her lips, a shade that nearly matched her hair. She must have been the one restraining me, smiling widely as I fought against the binds.

"Do you know how I am?" he asked.

A victim of a transfiguration spell gone wrong? No, not time to be joking Acelynne, you know who this man is.

I gave him a weak nod. The corners of his mouth twisted up into what must have been something akin to a smile, the sharps of his teeth barred. "Do you know why you are here?" I nodded again.

"Please don't kill me" I had finally found my voice, but it was weak. The room suddenly boomed with mocking laughter, the men leaning backwards in their seats. I took this time to search out other faces in the crowd. The long white hair gave him away quickly. Lucious Malfoy, too, was here.

"Of course we are going to kill you!" the red-headed woman cackled. "You AND your filthy blood-traitor of a father."

"We don't take too kindly to traitors" a short, round man with buckteeth commented from the corner, his beady eyes gleaming with delight.

"Not quite yet" Voldemort turned his back to me, waving a long, bony hand above his head. "Remove this thing from my sight." With those final words, he collapsed into a chair, facing the window.

I was unceremoniously dropped to the ground, still bound, as the manic woman continued to cackle with delight. From behind, I was grabbed from under my arms and yanked to my feet. They stayed hidden behind me, dragging me out of the room and down a dark corridor. I was eventually led to a cell and tossed sideways onto a mattress on the floor. Thats when I saw his face.