act 1, scene 1

"Hey" Chaerin said with a smile, one that she had practiced in the mirror on this dreaded monday morning. After days and days of leaving her phone shut off and thinking about it, she has no other choice. She had been backed into a corner with no way out except to follow this person's orders.

"Hey." Mark said, with slight surprise that she even talked to him but he was angry at her.

"Okay...I'm sorry for ignoring you and what I said that day I'm just.....caught up with stuff-"

"What stuff?" He inquired, pretending that he wasn't paying any attention to her

"Mark.....can you please just look at me?" She asked and he let out a sigh, taking his things out of his locker and shutting it closed before turning to her.

"What stuff?" He asked, looking at her this time and she sent him a smile, another fake one but anyone would have believed it was real.

"I had the flu and I got so annoyed that I had to miss two midterm exams....you know how I get when I'm super stressed, I started worrying whether or not I would even get into SNU" she said and he nodded slowly

"So are you.....feeling better now?" He asked

"Yeah...I started taking some antibiotics and I feel so much better...but i was wondering if you wanted to meet up at a café to study today" she asked trying to sound as bright and happy as she possibly could

"Uh.....yeah..sure" mark said smiling slightly and nodding as he walked to his home room

"Hey Chaerin! It's been a while" Soyeon said running up to her with a big smile

"Hey" she smiled back

"So you and mark huh? Am I sensing you guys getting back to together?" She asked and Chaerin smiled while shrugging her shoulders, 'only if that anonymous person tells me I have to' she thought to herself.

"Maybe..." chaerin replied with a small smile, faking it of course. Before Soyeon could answer her, the slam of a locker door behind Chaerin caused them both to jump and she turned to look at haechan with almost fiery red eyes. She gulped at the sight, he couldn't even bring his eyes to meet hers, he was devastated. 'Did I really mean nothing to her?' He thought to himself.

"Hey Haechan!" Soyeon said brightly and Haechan nodded, acknowledging her, only her, before walking off.

"We did the lab experiments together since you weren't there for the bio and chem exams" Soyeon said and Chaerin nodded slowly with a smile

"Right....I hope it went well. I'm gonna go to class before I'm late, me and mark are gonna study at the café today after school if you wanna come" she said, trying to move past the fact that Soyeon was slowly getting closer to haechan

"Yeah I'll...think about it" Soyeon said with a smile before walking to her home room, leaving Chaerin to go to hers.

Walking into the classroom she could already sense a few stares surrounding her, what did she do now?

"Chaerin...a word please" the teacher said as soon as she came in making her nod and walk straight back out.

"Yes sir?" She asked as the teacher closed the door of the classroom, standing next to her in the empty hallway.

"Chaerin...the principal recieved a letter today saying that you're an incompetent class president especially for senior year...you have only been coming to exams for the past week or two, you missed the last study body council meeting and you've been skipping classes-"

"Sir I have a valid reason i-i had the flu and-"

"I'm aware...I think it's unfair on you, considering the amount of stress that you might be under. But stepping down from this position might ease some of the stress off" the teacher said

".....what are you asking me to do?" She asked nervously twiddling her fingers

"I'm asking you to give up your title as class president" the teacher said making her crumble to pieces. Everything she's worked hard for, all the grades she fought for and studied for, all the nights she spent up cramming for all her homework and tests, it all came down to this.

"Sir I can't....I need this for my college appli-"

"I'm sorry Chaerin, principal's orders" the teacher said with a sigh, stepping back into the classroom and she let out a shaky breath. Looking up to the ceiling she squeezed her eyes shut and took steady breaths to calm herself down. She couldn't make a scene, not when eyes were already around her.

Opening the door of the classroom and stepping inside, she sat in her usual seat at the front, a seat no one ever dared to take from her, if they did it was almost as if they were challenging her.

"The test starts in fifteen minutes" the teacher said and most people had their heads straight into their books, trying to cram the last piece of study together. However Chaerin stared at her empty desk, not feeling the motivation to do anything. Why should she when everything was slowly being taken away from her?