ice cream, you scream

"could I get one vanilla cone and one vanilla and chocolate swirl" mark asked the cashier person at the ice cream store before taking out his wallet and paying the usual amount.

"you still remember my order?" Chaerin asked surprised as mark returned back to the table with two ice cream orders in his hands

"of course I do" he said with a small smile before taking his seat and giving her the order she was awaiting.

"so.....is this a....a date?" mark asked, scratching the back of his head nervously as he looked at her expression slowly turn serious before a smile was plastered onto her face again

"uh....yeah...that's okay with you right?" she asked and he sighed

"yeah.....well okay....no" mark said, eyeing her carefully

"what happened to being friends?" he asked and she gulped

"I told you....I changed my mind" she said

"you seemed pretty fixed on it though. what made you change your mind?" he asked

"I.....still like you" she said, biting her lower lip. as much as Mark wanted to believe her, as much as he wanted to tell her how much he still wished that she was his, as much as he wanted to pull her into a never ending kiss, he couldn't. they've been friends and they've dated, he knows more about her than she knows of herself. she was lying, and he was catching on.

"I...still like you too" mark said, a soft smile on his face. if she was going to play it this way, then he will to. until he finds out what's really going on.

"the weather is amazing" mark sighed in relief as the sun glazed over his skin as they stepped outside of the ice cream parlour to take a walk. the orange hues in the sky complimented his slightly tan skin tone as well as hers. the pair, holding hands, his jacket covering her slightly shivering body and their eyes gleaming with what seems like happiness and pure bliss. anyone would have thought they were meant to be.

"I'm about to freeze to death here" she muttered beside him and he laughed as he saw her shaking. wrapping one of his arms around her body, he pulled her close to his body to share the heat radiating through his thin white shirt.

"so what did you even do in Vancouver?" she asked, she hadn't been there since she left her elementary school and she was curious to hear about what mark could have done during his stay there.

"well I went back to visit our old school, and my neighbours that live down the road from me. did you know that the Kelly family moved out?"

"no way seriously?!"

"yeah apparently Jake's dad got a job in Minnesota and they......"

Mark's voice slowly began to drain out as they were approaching the traffic lights at the end of the road. Chaerin had laid her eyes onto a small figure in a grey hoodie, black Jeans, black mark and a black Calvin Klein bucket hat, staring right at them.

hearing the notification tone emitting from her phone, she immediately jumped to high conclusions. she needed to find whoever that girl in the hoodie was. immediately picking up the pace of her steps, mark found himself talking to nobody when he turned to his side. with his mouth agape he turned in front of him to see Chaerin running full speed past a number of people on the busy city street.

without another thought he, who was slightly more faster, ran towards her while calling out her name, often apologising for the people he bumped into.

he let out a growl of annoyance as she ran past the roads which were now blocked by rushing cars. she kept running without thinking, following the grey hooded figure which was quickly starting to run away from her.

she bumped into numerous people, Jaemin being one of them and he was quick to spring to his feet and chase after her as she ran for another road with cars going full speed

"Chaerin! hey! hold on!" he shouted as he chased her figure, running with only one person in her peripheral vision but before she could make the biggest mistake of her life, she was stopped.

"Chaerin what the hell?!" Jaemin shouted, grabbing onto her waist and pulling her into his hold before she ran across the road with incoming cars and trucks.

"I...I-i need to...go I-"

"hey! calm down! look at me! just breathe" Jaemin said, cupping her face in his hands and ripping her glance away from the hooded figure which was now running into the distance.

"just. breathe." Jaemin said, with confusion and worry written all over his features. inhaling shaky breaths and exhaling them slowly like he was guiding her to, she slowly came back to her senses and let out a sigh as she watched the dangerously fast cars speeding on the road which she was just about to run into

"I'm taking you home" Jaemin said, scanning his eyes over the girl who was slowly beginning to develop tears in her eyes

"I was so close" she muttered under her breath and although he didn't understand what she was talking about, he hummed in recognition as he pulled her into a soft hug, allowing her shaking body to relax under his caring touch, the jaemin effect. it was something he would normally use to his advantage to lure girls into his bed but this time it was different. she needed his attention and care. she was crying and he could hear it, even though her face wore a smile constantly.

"Can I drive you home?" he whispered, holding her close to him as if she was his sister.

"I need to make sure you're safe" Jaemin said, a shaky breath of his own as he remembered losing his own mother to an accident similar to this. he never wanted it to happen to anyone else.

with a slow nod of her head, jaemin was helping her walk towards his car and strapping her into the seat, making sure to hit the child lock button incase something triggered her to act out ruthlessly again. for the whole car ride the two never spoke, they didn't want to ruin the comfort they were both exerting towards each other. it was their silent bond, and unspeakable love between two people and a feeling that both were craving for most of their lives, safety.