4

You were at the convenience store, working on your shift. You looked through the packaged food on the shelves and put the ones with expired dates into the basket in your hand.

I guess this is my dinner today.

Even though your father sent you money every month, it was only enough to pay the rent for the apartment. Because of this, you had to work long hours at the convenience store for your living expenses.

You chose a store a little far away from school on purpose so no one can know about your current situation. Being a burden was the last thing you wanted.

"Hey Y/n, good work today," said the other worker as he got ready for his shift.

You put some of the expired food in a bag and went on your way. "I'll take my leave then."

It was pretty chilly today, which made you glad you decided to wear a coat this afternoon.

The wind hit your face and your hair got tousled by the wind. You let out a frustrated sigh.

Great. My hair's all tangled up.

You fixed it by brushing it out with your fingers.

Then the wind came blowing at you, messing up the hair you just fixed. You just stood there and blinked.

You looked around to make sure no one was looking at you. Then you flipped your middle finger up at the sky.

You then spotted a mother and a daughter watching you from a distance.

The little girl pointed at you. "Mom, what's she doing?"

"Shh! It's not polite to point at people!" the mother whisper-yelled as she pulled her child away.

Today's just not my day.

As you walked by a pet store, you looked through the glass window and spotted a tiny, grey rat in a cage, scurrying around.

It kind of looks like him.

***

You opened your eyes and woke up to the sound of birds chirping.

Then came back to your senses as you quickly sat up. You noticed you were in an unfamiliar setting.

You looked around. Then it all came rushing back to you. Last night, you ran away and got lost in a forest.

You then remembered someone approaching you.

"Oh hey! You're awake!" There was a man standing at the doorway. He was wearing a dark green kimono with a light green obi.

"Are you the one who saved me, sir?" you asked.

"Nope. It was Yuki-kun who saved you. I swear, I thought he murdered someone and decided to hide the body in my house!" He then looked at you with half serious eyes. "But putting all joking aside, shouldn't you be asking me who I am or where you are? What if I was a creepy pervert who kidnapped you?"

You just stared at him with vacant eyes. "Are you?"

There was a pause. "I mean, I wouldn't say I am, but I'm just saying, who knows what would've happened to you if you were found by the wrong people, you know?" Suddenly, someone behind him karate chopped the man's head. "Ow!"

"Stop it. You're going to scare her." You assumed this was Yuki. This boy was fair-skinned and had a beautiful appearance.

He crouched down beside you. "Are you okay? I found you hyperventilating outside last night."