17

It was pouring cats and dogs outside. It was raining so hard, you could feel the vibrations of the raindrops hitting the roof.

While it was raining, you were sitting inside your cozy house while you concentrated on your homework.

Your mom set down a plate of peeled apples on the table.

"Make sure you eat those apples. They have lots of vitamins for you," she said.

"Thanks, mom," you said as you continued to write things down.

Your parents had a divorce 2 years ago. You were extremely heartbroken about it at first, but as you got older, you realized it was all for the best. Since then, you've been living happily with your mom.

You had no idea where your dad was. He was most likely out of the state, traveling and doing things he wanted to do.

"Hey, remember my old friend I introduced to you the other day?" asked your mom.

"Yeah, she was nice. What about her?" you asked, your eyes still glued to the paper.

"Just wanted to let you know I'll be meeting her tomorrow, so I'll be home a little late."

"Okay, sounds good."

"She has a daughter who's the same age as you. Maybe you could meet her someday."

"Maybe. What's her name?"

"Her name is-"

The phone started to ring. Your mom rushed to it and picked it up.

"Hello?"

You continued to do your work as she talked on the phone. You had to get it done, so you could go play with your friends and not worry about homework piling up.

After talking on the phone, your mom hung up.

"Who was it?"

"It was your dad."

You stopped moving your pencil for a moment.

"Oh, I see. What did he want?"

"He was just telling me that he's in Japan right now."

"And?"

"I just hung up on him before he could say anything else," she said with an unapologetic shrug.

You smirked. "That's my mom."

The next day, while you were doing your homework, you noticed that your mom was running late.

Then you remembered that she told you she was meeting with an old friend of hers.

A few hours passed and there was still no sign of her. It was already dark out.

You were now getting really worried, so you decided to call her. It went straight to voicemail.

"Just who decides to spend 7 hours with a friend!?" you wondered out loud.

Then, you heard the front door creak open. You ran out and were relieved to see her come in and take off her shoes.

"Mom, do you know how worried I-" You froze when you saw the expression on her face.

She had the look of pure terror. She looked like she saw a ghost.

'M-mom? Are you okay?"