Chapter Three

"Surgeons usually fantasize about wild and improbable surgeries. Someone collapses in a restaurant, we slice them open with a butter knife, replace a valve with a hollowed out stick of carrot. But every now and then some other kind of fantasy slips in. Most of our fantasies dissolve when we wake, banished to the back of our mind, but sometimes we're sure if we try hard enough, we can live the dream. The fantasy is simple. Pleasure is good, and twice as much pleasure is better. That pain is bad, and no pain is better. But the reality is different. The reality is that pain is there to tell us something, and there's only so much pleasure we can take without getting a stomach ache. And maybe that's okay. Maybe some fantasies are only supposed to live in our dreams" 

"i never mind the rain from the skies as long as i have the sun in your eyes"

Lucy was getting dressed. "Maybe we should take the day off and just stay in bed", Alex said. "As much as I want to, I need to work", she smiled. He groaned before pulling her back into bed.

George, Meredith, Izzie and Holly walked up to the hospital. "So, I was thinking maybe you should get a key to the house", George said to Holly. "Really?" she grinned. He nodded before pecking her on the lips. Izzie stopped near the entrance. "I'll meet you guys inside", Izzie said. "Take all the time you need, Iz. You can do this. Everybody's got your back", Holly said before taking George's hand and entering the hospital.

Cristina, Lucy and Meredith got off the elevator. "Burke's milking it", Cristina complained. "I'm not his dog". Derek got off the elevator. "I had a dream about you", Meredith said to you. "Oop, there's the McVomit", Lucy muttered. Cristina snorted. Derek handed Meredith a cup of coffee. "Would you like to go out to dinner with me tonight?" Derek asked her. "It's getting real close now", Lucy said. "I would", Meredith said. Derek walked away. Finn then got off the elevator. "I had a dream about you", Meredith said. "Is she glitching?" Lucy asked Cristina. "What was I doing in it?" Finn asked. "Yeah, Mer, what was he doing?" Cristina asked. Lucy snickered. "What's in the bag?" Meredith asked, drawing attention to the bag he was carrying. "I brought you coffee cake", Finn said. "What do you think about dinner tonight?"

"I have plans"

"How about lunch, here at the hospital?"

"Sounds good"

He walked away. "So, the dream?" Cristina asked. "Threesome", Meredith answered bluntly. "Ew, what the hell, that's my brother", Lucy exclaimed.

Alex and Lucy arrived at the hospital entrance and saw Izzie. "Hey, how are you?" Lucy greeted. "I have a meeting with the chief today", Izzie said, staring at the hospital.

"That's great. Come on, Alex, we're running late. See you later, Iz"

The interns shared Meredith's coffee cake when Bailey approached them for assignments. "Grey, discharges, Yang, Dr Shepherd, Karev, Kepner, Dr Montgomery Shepherd and O'Malley, Shepherd, Dr Torres has requested you", Bailey said.

Addison found Alex and Holly at the station but her phone began to ring. "Pit", she said to both of them before taking the call. Alex happily jumped as they walked to the pit together. "What's with you?" Holly asked. "Nothing, I'm a happy guy in a happy relationship. Why shouldn't I jump?" Alex said.

"That's reason enough"

They jumped together before making their way to the pit.

Alex and Holly arrived at the ER and were given a patient chart. "This is the patient's fourth visit in three months", the nurse said. They walked over to the bed. "Megan Clover?" Holly questioned. "It's not as bad as it looks", Megan said. "She fell on the playground", her mother said. "We know how it looks but it's not that", the father said. "I assure you, sir, we weren't under any assumptions", Holly reassured. Alex gave her a confused look. "I have her file with me", her father said. "It goes back to way before we got her. "Go to the nurses station and have them copy the file while I check out Megan's leg", Alex said. Once the parents were gone, he noticed a wound on her leg that had been stapled. "Did your parents do that to you?" Alex asked. "Alex! They said they didn't!" Holly said.