Chapter Ten

"At the end of the day, when it comes down to it, all we really want is to be close to somebody. So this thing where we all keep our distance and pretend not to care about each other, it's usually a load of bull. So we pick and choose who we want to remain close to, and once we've chosen these people, we tend to stick close by. No matter how much we hurt them. The people that are still with you at the end of the day, those are the ones worth keeping. And sure, sometimes close can be too close. But sometimes, that invasion of personal space, it can be exactly what you need" 

"don't leave me lonely tonight 'cause i can't forget you"

The interns were discussing possible punishments for Cristina, with only Meredith, Holly and Lucy taking her side. "Come on guys, she made a mistake", Lucy said. "It's not just a mistake", George said. "George, cut her a little slack", Holly said. George looked like he was about to say something when Cristina walked in. Everyone went silent. Everyone but Meredith and Lucy left. "How's everything with you and Burke?" Lucy asked. "We are existing in total silence", Cristina said. "Neither of us wants to talk". Bailey came into the room. "Rounds started thirty seconds ago", Bailey said. "If you're late again, Yang, you can find a new resident".

Izzie, Alex, Lucy, George and Holly followed Bailey as Alex, Izzie and George complained about Cristina getting a case. Bailey turned around. "Stop whining", Bailey said. "Or else I won't show you what's behind this door. And I'm certain you really want to see it". She opened the door, revealing adult male conjoined twins. "I have to pee", one of the twins said. "Um, I don't think so", the other twin said. "Oh my god, I'm in surgery heaven", Lucy said. "Which one of you thinks Yang got the better case?" Bailey asked. No one replied.

Holly was paged to work on Meredith's sister Molly with Meredith and Addison. They were now in the OR. Addison was a few minutes away from delivering the baby. Susan was comforting her daughter. Addison delivered the baby and had Holly cut the cord. The baby wasn't crying. "We need to get this baby to an OR and get it stabilised", Addison said. "What?!" Mollie exclaimed, panicking. "What's wrong with my baby?!" "Mrs Grey, you should probably stay with your daughter", Holly advised. Addison worked on the baby. "Dr Grey, can you explain to Susan what's going on with the baby?" Addison asked. Meredith was zoned out. "Dr Kepner?" Addison asked. "To put it plainly, the baby's not breathing", Holly explained.

Addison and Holly were scrubbing in for surgery. "Dr Grey, you cannot just leave me hanging in the middle of surgery", Addison scolded. "I'm sorry, I can scrub in", Meredith said.

"No, that's alright. I have Dr Kepner, and I need you to keep Molly and Susan updated. The baby has jejunal atresia which puts her life at risk. I have consent to operate but no time for updates. I have decided not to let you in the OR with your family from now on. Check in every hour, okay? Come on, Dr Kepner"

The interns gathered in Really Old Guy's room for lunch. "You know, I'm surprised Yang hasn't been kicked out of the program yet", Alex said. "I mean, how did you manage to pull it off without the nurses knowing". "Alex, stop", Lucy whispered. "Cut it out!" Meredith yelled. "Meredith, don't", Cristina said before leaving the room. "You're really low!" Lucy said to Alex before storming out.

Meredith returned to Addison's OR where she and Holly were operating. "It's going to take a long time and we're doing the best we can", Holly said. "But we have nothing for you to tell Molly and Susan".

Alex and Lucy put Jake and Pete in the same room. They held hands. "I'm sorry", Alex said to her. "It's fine, I had my meltdown, I'm over it", Lucy smiled.

"It's that easy?"

"Sometimes. Sometimes it takes a lot more time and sometimes it never heals"

"You call your mom or talk to Derek?"

"No"

"Why not?"

"Because I don't want to. I can't just forgive them, just because it's convenient. Just because it's easy. It'll make them happy and that's great. But it won't make me happy. If I still remember all those moments as vividly as if they happened yesterday, I can't forgive them. I can't call her and tell her that I love her because the last time I spoke to her she told me I was a disappointment. She doesn't believe in me. Nobody does. They don't love me, Alex".

"Hey, families suck. Your family sucks. My family sucks. But now, we get to choose our own family. Meredith, Cristina, Izzie, George, Holly and me, we're your family. I love you"

"I love you too. I want you to know that this is it for me. You and me, that's it"

"Me too"

She smiled before kissing him.

The interns got ready to go home in silence. "I can't take this anymore", Lucy said. "You have got to let Cristina off the hook. Izzie, Cristina stood by you when you cut the LVAD wire, Alex, she helped you study, and when everybody was calling George 007...". "She was calling me 007", George said before leaving. Holly shot Lucy an apologetic look before going after George. "I forgive you", Alex and Izzie muttered in unison. Izzie left the room. "I'll see you later", Alex said to Lucy, pecking her on the lips before also leaving the room. "Why can't you guys mind your own business?" Cristina asked. "You guys are my family, you're all I've got", Lucy said. Her and Meredith sat down on either side of Cristina. Lucy rested her head on Cristina's shoulder. "I'm so tired", Cristina sighed before resting her head on Meredith's shoulder.

Holly caught up with George. "I can't keep doing this", Holly said. "What?" George asked.

"You can't make me pick a side. Cristina is my friend too. And Meredith and Lucy. You have got to let this go. Resentments like this are going to drive me away. Just think about it. I'm gonna go home tonight, okay?"

She walked away. "Okay", he whispered after her. 

hope you enjoyed! comment your opinions! song is don't leave me lonely by mark ronson featuring yebba