Chapter Twenty-One

"As interns, we know what we want, to become surgeons. And we'll do anything to get there. Suffer through a killer exam, endure one-hundred hour weeks, stand for hours on end in operating rooms, you name it, we'll do it. The tough part, though, is reconciling this huge thing we want to be surgeons with everything else we want. Too often, the thing you want most is the one thing you can't have. Desire leaves us heartbroken, it wears us out. Desire can wreck your life. But as tough as wanting something can be, the people who suffer the most are those who don't know what they want" 

"we used to be so happy, didn't we? we used to say forever'd be easy"

"Again", Lucy said to Alex as they entered the hospital. "You're gonna do great. With the amount of practice you've been doing, you could do the exam backwards", Alex said.

"Well, I wanna do it upside down as well, so, ask me again"

Burke left cakes in the conference room for the interns to taste. Lucy and Alex were too focused on cake to participate in conversation. "Maybe I should bring Derek a piece of cake like a good girlfriend would", Meredith said. "You could give the extra piece to me and it would be like the same thing", Lucy said, her mouth full of cake.

"How?"

"I'm his sister"

Bailey came in. "Your intern exam is in 2 weeks and you need to study, so no scrubbing in", she said. She told them their assignments and left with a whole cake. Alex and Lucy grabbed another slice of cake before leaving with the rest.

Meredith, Lucy and Cristina were quizzing each other when Lucy caught Cristina eyeing Callie. She rolled her eyes. "I'll ask her", Lucy said, getting up. She approached Callie. "So, you wanna taste some wedding cake?" Lucy asked. "You're not getting my cards", Callie replied before walking off. Lucy sat back down with Cristina and Meredith. "Well, I tried", she sighed.

Bailey approached the three. "We need all hands on deck for the board chairman's penis", she said. Lucy started laughing. She looked up and saw Bailey glaring at her and stopped. "You ready to act like an adult?" she asked. Lucy nodded, stifling a laugh. She briefed them on the case. "You have to take the VIPenis for an x-ray and ultrasound", Bailey said.

Callie and Addison were outside Ava's room talking when Holly approached them. "I know we're not friends but all my friends are studying and I need someone to talk to because my mind is eating me alive", Holly blurted. "Get it all out", Callie said. Addison nodded.

"I caught George in a lie the other day and I'm sure it's nothing. I just need to stop thinking about Izzie...right?"

"There's generally a reason when you obsess over something like that", Addison said.

The interns were studying together. "So, the guy has a penis fish?" Lucy asked. "Yep, it's instant karma for him cheating on his wife", Meredith said. Lucy eyed George. Izzie froze and Holly squinted at her in suspicion. "Cake!"George suddenly said. "You guys pick because I really don't care", Cristina said. She, Meredith and Lucy left for Larry's surgery. Holly left also and watched through the window as George fed Izzie some cake.

"I slept with a random intern", Addison blurted. "Hello to you too", Lucy replied.

"Say something about what I just said"

"You broke your bet with Mark"

"I hate you"

She then walked off. "Addison slept with some random intern guy", Mark said, suddenly standing next to Lucy. "Really?" Lucy deadpanned.

"Yes, can you believe it?"

"You know what, I just can't"

"You already knew"

"A little bit, yeah"

"Great"

Holly got on an elevator with Izzie. "Don't talk", Holly said. "I know it's unfair and there's nothing going on between you and George. George is your best friend and he gets you and needs you, but I was his best friend before I was his wife. And now I can't compete with you, so I'm asking you to give me my husband back".

Lucy and Mark were in the scrub room together after Larry's surgery. "I figured I should sleep with Meredith", Mark said. "How's that?" Lucy asked.

"Well, Addison doesn't want me and I'm gonna go ahead and assume there's something wrong with Derek and Meredith because there always is"

"I know this is like your personality trait but I don't think revenge sex is the answer"

"No, I think it's the perfect answer"

"Okay, now this is just a suggestion, so hear me out, but you could deal with this in a healthy way"

"I'll think about it"

"Good"

Lucy was studying in bed when Alex walked in. She didn't look up. "Hey, you wanna go over these questions with me?" she asked. He climbed onto the bed and took her flashcards. She looked at him and smirked as he leaned in to kiss her.

Holly saw George and Izzie standing together as they watched outside a patient's room. She exited the hospital and looked back for a brief moment before turning around and walking away. 

hope you enjoyed! comment your opinions! song is love and hate by kelsea ballerini