Chapter Thirteen

"No one believes that their life will turn out kind of okay. We all think we are going to be great. And from the day we decide to be surgeons, we are filled with expectation. Expectations of the trails we will blaze, the people we will help, the difference we will make. Great expectations of who we will be, where we will go. And then we get there. We all think we're gonna be great and we feel a little bit robbed when our expectations aren't met. But sometimes our expectations sell us short. Sometimes the expected simply pales in comparison to the unexpected. You got to wonder why we cling to our expectations, because the unexpected is just what keeps us steady. Standing. Still. The expected's just the beginning, the unexpected is what changes our lives'' 

"i'm not asking for too much. i just wanna wake where you are"

The interns gathered in the locker room except for George. "I'm tired", Meredith said. "Derek kept me up all night ranting". "I am so glad you said ranting", Lucy said from where she and Alex stood in their usual position. Alex chuckled. "Burke and Cristina are still not talking", Meredith said. "Seriously, Cristina? Just talk to him", Lucy said. "That would mean he wins and I know I'm right", Cristina said.

"You are going to way too much trouble just to prove that you're right"

George then entered and greeted Holly with a peck on the lips. Bailey then came in. "You're on your own today because I have important things to do", Bailey said. "If you face troubles, ask yourselves, what would Bailey do?"

Addison, George, Holly and Izzie were with JIllian. "I basically had to drag her in", her friend Rachel said. "Kepner, will you do the exam?" Addison said. Holly nodded. Holly got ready to do the exam. "I'm staying", Rachel said. "Jillian and I were born two days apart and we do everything together. Cradle to grave". 'Dr Montgomery, could you take a look?" Holly asked. Addison looked and was alarmed. "You two should also have a look so you can learn". Jillian said. "Jill, are you pregnant?" Rachel asked.

"No, I'm not"

They exited the exam room. "I could see the naked tumour with the naked eye", George said. Rachel exited the room. "Does Jillian have cancer?" she asked. "If she does, you need to tell me here and now so I can avoid crying". "You should probably call Jillian's parents", Holly said.

"We both left home when we were 16 and we haven't spoken to them since. I'm Jillian's family. I'm not contacting Jillian's parents and neither can you"

Cristina and Lucy were working with Callie. "So, how's George?" Callie asked. "We're not friends", Cristina pointed out. Lucy glared at her. "He's fine", Lucy said. "I don't like her", Callie muttered to Lucy.

"She's a hard one to like"

They walked up to the patient, Steve Beck, who had dislocated patella due to a fall while running a marathon. "I was told I blacked out", Steve said. Callie gave Lucy a look to distract him. "So, Steve, how's your day been?" she asked while Callie reduced his patella. "Yang, Shepherd, get a patellar brace, run labs, and get post-reduction films", Callie said. "Maybe you should skip the race the next time you have a cold".

"Are you okay working on a cancer case?" Holly asked. George was silent. "I just want to talk to you", Holly said. "You're not talking to me". George then looked confused as he stared at something. Holly turned to see an Amish couple entering the ER. They looked at each other before walking over to them. "Do you need help?" Holly asked. "Our daughter is here", the woman said. "Jillian Miller".

Meredith and Alex worked on the decubitus while Cristina and Lucy stood nearby. "My patient is so boring", Cristina said. "I wish he would at least have a fracture". "You're just overlooking ortho because you're a whore for cardio", Lucy said. Burke came in. "Is anyone available to assist on a truncus arteriosus surgery?" he asked. Meredith and Alex raised their hands. "Excellent, can you describe the condition?" he asked. They were all silent. "It'll be years before we get another case like this", Burke said before leaving. "I can't believe you didn't know the answer", Cristina exclaimed. "I can't believe you didn't say the answer", Lucy said. "You could've been in on the case if it weren't for your immense pride".

"Steve, you're severely dehydrated, causing your muscles to break down a bit", Lucy explained. "We need to see if the fluids we've administered are doing what they are supposed to before we send you home". "Is my knee going to be okay?" Steve asked. "I need to be ready to win my next marathon. My legs hurt". She pulled back the sheet, revealing them severely swollen. She gasped. "Get Dr Torres", she told a nurse.

Cristina and Lucy rushed him to the procedure room where Callie was waiting for them. "It looks like he might have severe compartment syndrome since there are no detectable pulsations in his legs", Lucy said. "Okay, Shepherd, mirror precisely what I'm doing", Callie said. "Steve, this is going to hurt, but you need to keep your legs still if you want to keep them". They then performed fasciotomies on both legs.

"So, do you want to grab lunch?" Holly asked George. Holly then saw Jillian's parents were still in the waiting room. George took this as his chance to leave. Holly turned around to see him gone. She sighed.

Callie, Cristina and Lucy were scrubbing in. "Great work on the legs", Cristina complimented. "Holly told me George won't talk about anything with her", Lucy said. "I think talking is overrated", Cristina said.

"That's because you don't talk to your boyfriend"

"Whatever"

"Silence is way overrated"

Addison, Izzie, George, Holly and Bailey were operating on Jillian. "The tumour has invaded into the bladder, what does that mean Dr Kepner?" Addison said. "That she's stage IV", Holly replied. An emotional George quickly left the OR with a worried Holly watching him go.

George showed up at Holly's apartment. "I know I wasn't talking to you and I'm sorry. But I'm talking now", George said. "I've felt awful since my father's death. I still can't believe it's real. But every time I look at you, I feel better. It shocks me, but it's true. I don't need more than a piece of you. It'd be the best thing if I could have all of you. I love you". He got down on one knee and Holly gasped. "Will you marry me?" he asked. Holly was too shocked to respond. "Marry me", he repeated. 

hope you enjoyed! comment your opinions! song is pillow by bebe rexha