Chapter Seven

"As surgeons, we are trained to look for disease. Sometimes the problem is easily detected, most of the time we need to go step by step. First, probing the surface looking for any sign of trouble. A mole or a lesion or an unwelcome lump. Most of the time, we can't tell what's wrong with somebody just by looking at them. After all, they can look perfectly fine on the outside, while their insides tell a whole other story. Not all wounds are superficial. Most wounds run deeper than you can imagine. You can't see them with the naked eye. And then there are the wounds that take us by surprise. The trick with any kind of wound or disease is to dig down and find the real source of the injury- and once you've found it, try like hell to heal that sucker" 

"'cause lately i've been drowning in thoughts of you"

Richard, Derek and Burke waited in Meredith's hallway as George and Holly came down the stairs. "Have fun", Holly smiled before kissing George's cheek. "Izzie baked us treats", George said. Izzie smiled from the kitchen doorway. "Bye", Holly said to George, pecking him on the lips. He smiled at her before leaving with the boys.

Callie, Addison and Lucy sat in a lounge eating breakfast and reading magazines. Mark entered the room. There was a lot of awkward tension in the air. The three girls shared looks. Lucy's eyes widened as the realisation hit her.

"Derek wants space", Meredith said to Cristina, Lucy and Izzie. Lucy picked at her fingernails, uninterested. "Guys named Preston get their asses kicked by squirrels", Cristina said. "How many guys named Preston do you know?" Lucy asked. "I think the trip is a nice little slumber party", Izzie said. Lucy snickered. Mark approached them. "Where's Dr Karev?" he asked. "He's usually following me around". "He's camping", Lucy answered.

"You want to be on my service today?"

"I'm afraid that's Bailey's call, not mine"

Bailey came over. "It's fine with me", Bailey said. Lucy groaned. Mark chuckled.

Lucy and Mark got into the elevator. "I have rules", Lucy said. "Don't you always?" Mark asked.

"Rule number 1: you're not allowed to sleep with or flirt with any of my friends, rule number 2: no talking about my love life, and rule number 3: do not talk about my love life at all"

"Two of them are the same"

"It's an important rule"

"What's the deal between you and Karev?" Mark asked. "He's my boyfriend. It's nothing", Lucy replied.

"It doesn't sound like nothing"

"I'm not 15. I'm not talking about this with you. Remember rules 2 and 3?"

They entered the patient's room where Donna and Vicky were unpacking. "Vicky is still having some penis issues", Donna said. "I don't follow", Lucy said. "Dr Sloan is removing my husband's penis", Vicky said.

"Oh, where is your husband"

"Right here", Donna said.

Lucy read Donna's chart. "So, you've been going by Donna for two years and you're here for a sex reassignment surgery", Lucy read. "So he or she or they?" "You better get to learning the steps of a vaginoplasty if you want in on the surgery, baby blue", Mark said. "You're doing very well", Donna said. "I did worse when I found out", Vicky said. "So, Donna, you excited?" Mark asked. "That doesn't begin to cover it", Donna said. Mark took her hand. "You're gonna do great", he reassured. Lucy smiled at his genuinity.

Lucy practically skipped over to Meredith and Cristina. "What makes you so cheery?" Cristina asked. "I get to participate in an SRS with Mark", Lucy said smiling. Izzie came over. "Sydney is my councillor", she said. "Ew, she's like happy all the time, isn't she?" Lucy said.