Chapter Twenty-Four

"A surgeon's education never ends. Every patient, every symptom, every operation is a test. A chance for us to demonstrate how much we know. And how much more we have to learn" 

"this hurt that i'm holding's getting heavy"

Meredith was in her room getting dressed in black. Lucy entered and Meredith turned around to look at her. They stood for a second looking at each other. Then Lucy walked over and hugged her tightly.

Meredith and Lucy walked down the stairs together as they heard Alex and Cristina debating over the most frequent cause of diarrhea in hospitalized patients. They entered the kitchen. "It's C diff. which is what killed Susan", Meredith said before leaving again. Lucy sighed and gave Cristina a look. "She's going to the hospital first, then funeral, then exam", Lucy said. "Meredith is fine. She just needs to be left alone". They got back to studying.

Holly quizzed George over their intern exam. She looked through his study book and found his acceptance letter for Mercy West. "It's pending the results of my intern exam", he said. "I have to tell the chief today". She smiled and hugged him. "This is a good thing, right? Mercy West is a smaller program and you'll be able to actually tell me how your day went", she said. They kissed before leaving for the hospital.

Cristina and Lucy quizzed Meredith before she had to go to the funeral. A drunk and stumbling Thatcher stepped off the elevator. Lucy spotted him. "Oh no", she said. "What, oh no?" Meredith asked before turning around and seeing him. "Oh". He approached Meredith. "I am uninviting you to the funeral, Meredith", he slurred. "I trusted you to keep Susan alive, but you killed her". "Sir, I think you should calm down", Lucy said, grabbing his arm but he shoved her out of the way. "I don't want you near me or the funeral", Thatcher said to Meredith. Molly approached Thatcher. "Dad, let's go, Lexie's waiting in the car", she said. "Susan was all I had", he yelled, backing towards the elevator. Lucy started panicking. "I-I-I can't breathe", Lucy stuttered. She ran off.

Alex entered the on-call room. "You paged me?" Alex asked before seeing her tear-stained face. "What happened?" He sat down and tried to put his arm around her but she flinched. "Please don't touch me", she whispered.

"Okay. What do you want me to do?"

"Sit here and say nothing"

"Okay"

The interns arrived in the exam room. Lucy sat, staring into space, tapping her foot. A water bottle was placed on her desk. She looked up to see Alex. She smiled at him before watching him sit down. The minute his back was turned, her smile faded and she stared into space once again. "You may open your tests", the proctor said.

The interns were halfway through their exam. Lucy looked up and noticed Meredith didn't have a single answer on her paper. She just sat there, staring ahead. Lucy continued with her test.

The exam finished. Meredith walked away without saying a word. "Meredith didn't answer a single question", Lucy said, staring at her retreating figure. "We should talk to her", Holly suggested.

"No, give her some time"

Bailey gave Izzie, Alex, Cristina, Lucy and Holly their assignments. "And O'Malley, choosing Mercy West is a bad idea", Bailey said. "This program is the best". "This is what's best for me, given my personal problems", George said, looking at Holly.

"I don't care, but I do care about your career. It's a mistake"

She walked away. George started to walk away and Izzie tried to talk to him but he ignored her. Holly watched the interaction from afar.

Cristina, Lucy, Callie, Meredith, Izzie and Holly were helping Cristina with her vows at Meredith's house. "I don't like the forever part of vows", Cristina said. "They're like that in the beginning, but then it fades", Holly said. "I don't see it like that", Izzie said. "You're all just used to it, but if you couldn't be with the person you loved, him promising to honor and cherish you forever would mean a lot". Holly eyed her with suspicion. "You were talking about Denny, right?" Lucy said, seeing Holly's suspicion. "Yeah", Izzie said. Holly still wasn't convinced. 

hope you enjoyed! comment your opinions! song is comfort crowd by conan gray