Chapter Twenty-Five

"Being chief is about responsibility. Every single surgical patient in a hospital is your patient. Whether you're the one who cut them open or not. The scalpel stops with you. You need to be able to look at her family. And to tell them your team did everything they could to save someone's child. Their husband, their wife, you get caught up. Taking care about the people's families. And responsibility...it makes you...you take care of other people's families. And you sacrifice your own" 

"we're going to the other side"

Callie wrote vows on Cristina's hand while Holly recited loving words for her to write down. Izzie and Lucy were making Meredith a bouquet and dress out of toilet paper. They all got paged except for Cristina which left Lucy and Cristina helping Meredith out of her toilet paper wedding dress. "You are gonna walk down that aisle no matter what happens", Meredith said to Cristina. "You marrying Burke is proof that people like us can be happy". "I can do this", Cristina assured them. Lucy eyed her with worry and suspicion knowing she wasn't sure.

Holly pulled George into an on-call room. "I've been thinking about things. And you don't need to say anything about this right now. I just needed to get it out", she said. "Okay, I'm just gonna say it. I want a baby. With you, by the way, I don't know if I made that clear. I want to have a baby with you, George". George looked shocked. "You can run away", she said and he did.

Holly was sleeping in an on-call room when George came in and woke her up. "Do you really want kids?" George asked her. "Yeah", she replied.

"Let's do this"

She squealed excitedly and threw her arms around him

Meredith and Lucy were working on a computer at the nurses station together. Cristina appeared behind them holding her wedding dress. "Derek told me about a girl he flirted with", Meredith said, not turning around. "Remind me to smack him", Lucy said, also not turning around. "Guys, you know how sometimes things are about you", Cristina said. "Well, this is really, really about me". They turned around to see Cristina had no eyebrows. "Oh my god! What happened to your face?" Lucy exclaimed. "Mama Burke took my eyebrows and now I'm a Burke", Cristina said.

The interns came into the locker room where Izzie and George already were. "We have 30 minutes, people!" Lucy yelled.

Lucy tried to fix Cristina's eyebrows. "Does anybody have deodorant?" Alex asked. "It's in my locker, it's lemon scented,'' Holly said. Patricia entered the room. "I have your intern results", she said. She handed out the envelopes. They all exclaimed that they passed except for George. "Did you pass?" Holly asked, rubbing his shoulder. He closed his letter. "Yeah, I did. We'll talk about it later", he said, before kissing her cheek.

"Alright, you go get a seat, I have to make sure Cristina gets down the aisle", Lucy said, fixing Alex's tie. "You look very handsome". "You look hot", he smirked. She shoved him playfully and he chuckled. He kissed her cheek before going to take a seat. "I'm gonna marry that guy", she whispered to herself. She smiled before going to help Cristina.

Cristina gasped. "I washed my vows off my hand when I scrubbed in!" she exclaimed. "I scrubbed off my vows!" She began to panic.

Cristina started pacing. "There are no vows in my head", Cristina said. "It's going to be okay", Holly reassured.

"I need to hear something else. Someone pretend to be me!"

"Stop whining", Lucy snapped. "You will go down that aisle, even if I have to kick your ass every step of the way. We need you to get your happy ending". "Okay, I'm ready", Cristina said.

Burke came through the doors. "I'm fine", Cristina reassured. "I'll be right behind you". "I'm sorry", Burke said.

"I can do this"

"You don't want to do this. I'm up there waiting for you to come down the aisle, knowing that you don't want to but you'll do it because you love me. If I loved you, not the woman I hope you'll become, I wouldn't be up there waiting for you. I would be letting you go"

"No, I'm ready. I really think I want this"

"I really wish you wouldn't think. I wish you knew"

The bridesmaids shared worried looks.

As everyone started to leave the chapel, Alex rushed over to Lucy. "What's happening?" he asked her. "The wedding's off, he left. I'm sorry, I'll tell you everything later, I have to find Cristina".

Meredith and Lucy entered to see Cristina standing in her living room. "Burke is gone", she said breathlessly. "All his things are gone. He's gone. I'm free. Dammit. Take off the choker!" Lucy took off the choker and Meredith grabbed scissors. Meredith cut her out of the dress as she gasped for air. They held her tightly as she cried.

Izzie had stayed behind at the church. She was sitting on a bench while Holly watched her.

George was clearing out his locker. The new interns arrived. They all looked excited to be there. The group left to check out the cafeteria except for 4 women. "Do you have any advice?" a woman with short curly blond hair asked. "No", George replied. "Learn how to perform an appendectomy before your first day". "Are you leaving?" a woman with dark auburn asked. "Yes", he replied.

"Better offer?"

"Just life"

"Well, good luck"

"I'm George O'Malley. You guys have names?"

"Kelly Ripa"

"Beck Jacobs"

"Aurora Sloan"

"And I'm Lexie Grey"

The five women left the room as George's eyes widened.

The End 

hope you enjoyed book 3! comment your opinions! stay tuned for book 4!