Devil in Distress

19th of July, 2022

[shutting electricity down...]

The whole household has turned into silence, and interrupted Zaeia's gaming session. She threw her joystick away and immediately called her older brother who locked himself all day in his room.

Their parents were not around. Her brother didn't respond so she went downstairs and everything's pitch dark except outside.

It was a stormy night. She looked through the window, then went to the kitchen and lighted up a candle. She called her brother again, but seemed she didn't need to do it for him because he's yelling to the space that that day was so awful to him and he didn't have the chance to enjoy fully a live online concert of his favorite band.

"Just in case," she said while looking at the batteries on the cabinet, and sighed.

The rain didn't stop for some hours and they're still waiting for the electricity to come back. Her brother glares at her for that long, and she was confused why she felt like she's blamed for him not to be able to attend the concert. She stood up and got out of the place, because it's so uncomfortable for her.

While imagining animated things on the ceiling, Zaeia heard a beep outside their home. It must be their parents. She rushed towards the main door with an umbrella, but what she only met was the empty street covered by heavy rain and flashes of lightning.

She came back to their house, and her brother still have the same position as she have left before. But this time, his eyes grew fiery in anger, teeth clattered, and his neck twisting clockwise.

The electricity came back again, and she saw his form. Confusion and fear consumed every nerve and fiber of her body, unable to move, didn't want to blink as what she have seen.

The bulbs bursted and cracked into pieces. Everything went black again, but it made her scared more as she noticed some happenings. She heard disjointed sounds of bones, squishing of flesh, and heavy breathes and groans.

"What are you?" she whispers.

She didn't know if it's still him. He's different from what she had known. When lighting strikes and lighted up the room just some moments, he left a very wide grin that almost ripped the flesh of his face.

"Guess what ~" a monstrous voice sang as a response to her question.

Zaeia's eyes widened. What kind of monster is he? There's a very terrible change in his appearance.

A very bright light from a vehicle, came next a beep gave her hope, and she's sure it's their parents. She just looked away from the monster and was about to open the door, but a long, distorted arm blocked her way out. She heard him laugh again.

"We're here!"

They knocked on the door. She's already terrified so she shouted help from them.

"Mommy! He's a monster! Help me get out of here!"

They just left a sigh and turned the knob. "We're not up to pranks again, not now. Please open the door!"

She cried, "Mom, Dad, I'm not even joking! He looks like a monster!" breathes heavily, "I don't even know what's happening, I'm not lying to you! Please call the cops-"

"No cops, sweetie." The monster smirked. The parents realized that what she said was true, but it's too late.

Before she could shout again, she looked at her monster brother and saw his stature. His arms silenced her by stabbing his nail on her throat, while he held her body shaking in fear.

The parents were also screaming, calling the cops, but they didn't believe them, as there were no monsters existed.

And the last time she remembered, Zaeia was already covered, and felt her body was shredded into pieces.