Berries

For she’s always reminding us that not a tip of my finger or strands of my hair should be seen or have a contact with a man out of our place. Flames of anger is built within her when I ask about my father.

I grew up believing that they are all cruel, heartless— so as my father, who was said that left us because he loves someone other than my mom, and also for money and fame.

I went through the woods to find berries, but before I could get there, my Mom gave me a spear to protect myself from ambush.

Counting each berry I picked, a thought flicked.

Can these bushes produce berries without the sunlight, or water? Can it grow independently? What will happen if these bushes will forever be lacked of something essential to its growth?

Will it produce more berries?

Everything is fine then, until I noticed that there’s a puzzle of mine I wanted to be solved. I feel incomplete.

Out of the woods, a young man appeared, lost on his track, and noticed me standing there, idle. Holding my spear ready, stared at this young man, he took down his belongings and gestured me to put my spear down.

“Trust me, I’m not an enemy. I’m lost and I don’t know where this leads.”

He looked away and observed around. “Maybe I could ask where exactly does the southeastern plain lies?” he inquired.

I told him where it is situated, pointing where’s the north, what type of trees and climate in each direction, so that he will not be lost again. After that, he invited me to go to the festival out of the woods.

I really wanted to go somewhere aside from the place where I was born. I know my Mom would be mad when she learns about this, but I’m a lady now and I can protect myself. I wish I can have the freedom to choose what I want.

That night, I dressed up and meet up with him secretly. Before I sneaked out, I made sure that I am not seemingly out of there, I aligned the pillows on my bed and covered with my blanket, so it looked like I’m already asleep.

I enjoyed every moments with this guy. I never thought that he would be this nice, and wherever I go, he’ll follow. My Mom always remind us that guys should be avoided because they cannot be trusted. But, this one, he proved that he’s different from them.

It feels strange. I had a contact with him when I touch his hand, there’s something electrifying that I can’t explain, but I wanted to feel more of it. More of it, that we ended up drowning on pleasure as we share the heat this night.

As far as I remembered, that was the memorable night I have. I never imagined that it would be take us to that situation. Again, another day to face the reality that I am still chained with the beliefs of my Mom.

Now that there’s a living evidence that not all of them is like my father— I will break this belief of hers.

Everything is new to me, but anxious of what will happen. No, he’s different from them, I know that on his every touch, I could feel his love. No, he’s not like my father. No.

I went out of my room, and noticed there’s no one else around. I roamed until I learned that I’m alone at that place.

Where could they possibly go? Why do they have to...

Rustles somewhere, I hope they are. I hope. But I saw him— with other men pointing guns on me. He smiled devilishly and got a small bloodied sack. He lifted something inside it, and the familiar face showed. My Mom. Her cutted head shows fright. I couldn’t believe that he would do this to my Mom, and to me.

What I saw is enough. My Mom was right. She’s...

It’s too late.

“Oh well, how are you, milady? Did I satisfy your hunger last night?” He’s mocking me. It’s not happening. None of these are real. My Mom. Last night with him. Everyone’s not around. Am surrounded by gunmen.

I closed my eyes. As leaves withered, and as fruits rotten, in times of hunger— poison will invade the system, just hope that it’ll survive.

I’m a lady, who’s bounded by society to not believe on myself and what I can, there I go. Revenge’s a bittersweet.

Holding my spear, I swiftly drag them down, one by one stab their hearts. I killed all of them except him, who made me believe that they’re evil.

“Are you satisfied seeing your troop while bathing on their own bloods?”

He smiled as if it’s not happening. As if we’re not existing.

“Why did you kill them, if I’m the one who took your mother’s life?” he said then laughs.

I’m on my downfall, yet there’s no one who’ll save me. I’ll take the chance to take his fate on my hands. Anger consumed me, starting to overflow, and raised my stained spear to this man.

“From now on, I’ll protect those women being left and underestimated,” I said after thrusting my spear through his body.