THREE

╚»★«╝

╚»★«╝

straight shooter -skylar grey

      The group changed into proper clothes for sparring before gathering in the large room. Today, they would be focusing on hand to hand combat, and thus, they were allowed to activate one rune per Hodge's orders.

It could be any rune of their choosing and what they felt would give them the upper-hand. Despite the tense atmosphere, they were all excited in some ways. Fighting—something they were all surely good at.

The group stood in a line. Each of them standing as the trained soldiers they were. Hands behind their back, feet apart, and chins lifted. The only difference, besides height, were their faces.

Alec and Jace were serious.

Isabelle was bored.

Lyra was nervous.

Henry was amused.

Pacing in front of them, Hodge held a hard expression. His steps reverberated throughout the walls. The sun beamed in through the multi-colored glass and glazed colors on his body. A spotlight of yellow gleamed onto the Circle rune etched into his neck.

Henry's head tilted as he stared upon it. His eyes narrowed with minor curiousness but he turned straight as Hodge passed him. Is everyone here so damn uptight, he wondered to himself. He turned his head to view the taller man beside him.

Alec Lightwood—what a specimen.

He teasingly smirked when the man flickered his gaze over to him.

Alec's face flushed with red, and he quickly turned straight forward. Suddenly tense and nervous.

Henry chuckled to himself lowly. Cute.

"You all activated one of your runes." Hodge nods his head as he sees each of the dark marks on their skins. "Since I already know how Alec, Jace, and Isabelle fight, this exercise will be more for Lyra and Henry. I'd like to see what you can do. Step up and pick your sparring partner. Which of you will go first?" He questioned.

Lyra and Henry's eyes met from opposite ends of the line.

He could see the nervousness on her features instantly. It wasn't fear of fighting, but more of the fact that she needed to prove herself. He could tell that much with the determination in her eyes.

To ease her, Henry faced forward to the older weapons-master. "I'll go first," He volunteered, stepping out of line with a slight skip to his step. He made his way to the middle of the floor.