TWENTYTHREE

╚»★«╝

╚»★«╝

Too many things were happening for Jace to wrap his head around. Every time he turned, someone he cared about was getting hurt some way or another.

He wished he could stop it, but things were so vastly different now.

They still haven't even started investigating the truth of the Sanguis Angeli or uncovering that whole mess—and now there was this business with the Venatori and its followers, the Deviants. Then Henry's family came around and he totally beat the crap out of them, only now he was missing. Not to mention, Alec and Isabelle were being dragged with their parents around for meetings all day after the break-in.

Like he said, too much was going on.

All he did for now, though, was stay by Lyra's bedside as she held his hand and cried into her pillow. Her sobs never lifting as they had been going all night. She hadn't let go of him either and he had to sleep in her bed with her, holding her as she cried herself to sleep then awoke to continue on.

Jace couldn't do a damn thing to help her, and he hated feeling so useless.

Watching her now, Jace stayed silent and just sat there to offer his comfort what little he could give. He didn't really know how to do this, comfort someone, let alone one he actually cared about. It was pathetic, really.

Lyra's cries finally settled and he forced his eyes up, to see that she had fallen asleep. Her eyes were a little puffy and her nose was red, cheeks shiny from all the tears.

Jace sighed, a little in relief, and leaned forward in the seat. He used his sleeve to carefully wipe away at her wet cheeks.

The door opened and he looked up, his face falling with relief to see Alec and Isabelle entering. Rook was sitting on Isabelle's shoulders. Obviously, they had checked Henry's room before this.

They gave him looks of concern that were meant for the girl sleeping. And they stepped back out into the hall, not wanting to wake her.

Jace stood up quietly and made his way out to meet them. He shut the door behind him carefully. "Hey..." He looked at them both, "...How did the meetings go?" He asked.

Alec and Isabelle gave each other similar looks.

"Well, we spent most of the time with Shang and his other sons. They had a lot of opinions about our security here at the Institute compared to theirs," Isabelle rolled her eyes as she crossed her arms.

"At least we know they aren't bothering Henry for now," Jace looked on the bright side, noticing how Alec grew saddened, "You still haven't found him yet?" He questioned.